Bipolar Disorder Community
Pregabalin (lyrica) for bipolar/anxiety?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Has anyone heard of Pregabalin (lyrica) for bipolar or anxiety? - my doctor wants me to try, but I have not heard about it before and would like to know if anyone here has tried it or knows anyone who has.
Is it used as a mood stabiliser? - I can't find it on the web site ILADVOCATE recomended me a long time ago, does this mean it's not a mood stabiliser or just a new brand?
I've not heard of it being used as a mood stabiliser for bipolar, though it is supposed to have anti-anxiety properties.  It is an anti-convulsant recommended for Fibromyalgia which is what I take it for though only in a low dose so can't say I've noticed any difference with anxiety.
Yeah, I did a quick search on the internet and it seemed like more of a seizure / pain medication to me. Perhaps bipolar/anxiety is more of an 'off label' kind of thing and that's why it isn't so familiar to people here?!

Still, any further comments from members would be appreciated - is it common for people to be prescribed 'off label' medications like this for bipolar?
http://www.lyrica.com/
is the website
and the medication is clinically related to Neurontin so the effects should be similar but you can speak to your psychiatrist about it.
Yes, I'm seeing him in the next week or so, and that might answer some questions. Checked out the link you gave and it seems to confirm that it's usage is mostly for the reasons mentioned earlier. If I end up taking this medication I will let you know in this forum how I get on with it!
yes it is good stuff.

I have been prescribed PREGABALIN for nerve pain as I have a prolapsed disc in lower back and very painful left leg.
(Meds for bipolar right now - lamotrigine and Mirtazapine.)

I have taken PREGABALIN for 8 days now and although I am in pain  and an op on my back on Monday, I have noticed how well I am feeling, in myself. I feel optimistic for the first time in - oh so long. I feel settled inside, like I am a peace with myself.
The anxiety has gone.
I am going to contact my psyche to see if he will agree to add this to my medication, as it has turned my life around. I really hope he will agree as I don't want to go back to how I felt before these 8 days.
I am very pleased to know that your psyche/doc has ffered this to you, as that so helps me in asking mine.
I do hope you will feel like I feel right now.
Hi there, your feedback sounds encouraging, I still haven't started the medication yet as the last appointment with pdoc got cancelled at the last minute however will discuss this med the next time I see him. Just out of curiosity, what dose are you on? -(I'm on seroquel 400mg/Tegretol 1400mg now)
I take 425 mg of Lamotrigine, and 45 mg of Mirtazapine at night (this is supposed to lift my mood - but it hasn't for 169 day - ok it perhaps has helped a little). The Lamotiregine is an abti covuslant ad allso acts as a mood stabiliser.
My psychatrist mentioned some time ago that there were some exciting things hppening in the US and that there would be other med to try.
So perhaps Lyrica, (pregabalin) is one of those.

I have been taking 100mg (two capsules of 50mgt) three times a day, for 2 weeks now for nerve pain, and I feel so goodt!

My son had a magic reaction two years ago (when he was diagnosed) when he started Lithium, and he is still well and happy, bought his own business. last year. He is 28.

I wished the same thing would happen to me........and now it has with Lyrica.
Hi I use Pregabalin at the moment along with Mirtazipine and find that it helps with my anxiety. I was prescribed it for panic attacks and insomnia at the moment I'm on the lowest dose of 50mg and when I don't take it I have big panic attacks and don't sleep. I just found out today that it is a popular bipolar treatment where I'm from.
I'm still fighting for assessments at the moment to find out exactly what mental health problems I'm actually being treated for
i am on this medication for bipolar and also fibromyalgia my doc says it will help as a mood stabiliser as well as for the pain i have with the fibro
Hi I take lyrica for my bipolar 2 rapid cycle disorder. Although the fda in America hasn't caught up, over in Europe they are using lyrica as a bipolar med in conjunction with other meds. I can't take any form of anti-depressant because I freak out. I have 3 herniated disc in my back but take lithium so I can't take any anti-inflammatories, which only leaves opiates which my body becomes addicted to very fast, then I get to suffer through opiate withdrawal.
She started me on lyrica under the guise of nerve pain, and sleep disorder (which I have but I'm allergic to sleeping pills lol whole world of issues for my prescribing dr)
Lyrica HAS WORKED. I've gained a few pounds so far, but my progress outweighs the weight. Hahahaha
I wish you all the best.
I looked up Lyrica in my PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) on my iPod.  An off-label use of Lyrica is for generalized anxiety disorder. It is not listed as a mood stabilizer. Its FDA approved use is for pain and partial seizure.
My doctor just put me on this....I was on gabapentin well still am but where weaning me down because gabapentin was no longer doing anything for me....So far I'm on 25mg twice daily and was on 600mg of gabapentin and now down to 1200mg a day....I really think this drug is perfect for people with bipolar.....It has worked so well for me..