Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Active Lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Active Lesion

Does anyone know if a lesion can stay continuously active? By this I mean always glows on repeated mris?
First we need to know over what kind of time frame are you referring?  I have read that a lesion can slowly enlarge and have a smouldering rim of continuing activity.  this would appear to be continuously "active,"  but I would think that it would also be seen to be enlarging.

As to whether the same exact area could remain inflamed on an ongoing basis, I don't know.  How long are you referring to?

Possibly the presence of continuous enhancement might suggest another problem, like an infection.

This might be a good question for the ms Expert Forum.

Quix
Thanks for your reply, Oct 5 showed active lesion in pons, relapse on Dec 17, my neuro said same lesion still active, he did say it showed the rim your talking about but he didnt say it was getting any larger. We have ruled out everything and then some. I didnt think to ask him about how long a lesion would stay active.

Airyona
I have a friend that had a masectomy in Jan. then they found 2 brain tumors, now she is told through an MRI that there are 5 brain lesions.  She has already had 4 months of chemo and now is on her second week of Radiation for the brain,  can you give a prognosis?
hi classic fool, I think your question would be better in a different forum.The lesions on the brain from MS are entirely differently than the types of lesions you are probably describing that is  seen with cancer.

MS Lesions are an erosion of the myelin coating on our nerves.

I am so sorry about your friend's cancer.  I hope the doctors find an effective treatment and give her lots of time to spend with you.

-Lulu

This is a patient forum and we cannot give specifics - the treating doctor really has to comment on the case as there are a lot of variables. Her overall health, other diseases, the type of cancer etc. play a part - so it is really hard to tell.
I encourage you to keep a positive outlook for your friend!