Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Losing Weight after pituitary adenoma surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

I've been diagnosed with pituitary macroadenoma.  One of the biggest symptoms that is a physical obvious is my rapid weight gain.  In the last year and a half, I've gained almost 100 lbs.  It's humiliating for me to even show myself in public...let alone, knowing that I have no control over the gain and I can try all I want to lose the weight and it does absolutely nothing.  So, my question is this:  How does this added weight come off after surgery?  Does it kind of melt off on it's own? or is it something you have to work off yourself? or BOTH?!!  
hi rochelle, i am going threw the same thing. i had a pituitary tumor removed in 06. i have gained 30 pnds so far. i cant lose weight either.i stay hungery all the time.i have asked this question a hundred times. i can gain around 5pnds over nite,do you?have you been tested for hypopituitary,cushions ? i have been tested and it comes back low normal.have you had sugery?i had a crainotomy so far im still tumor free.i have tryed to exercise but it make me sick and dizzy. i am very uncomfortable with my body and dont enjoy going out.all my weight gain is in my stomach area,wheres yours?im trying to find the answer to this question to.just wanted to let you know your not alone. best wishes,brainpain
Haven't had surgery on pituitary yet. But I have the opposite problem. I am ashamed won't even go swimming, something I love because I look like skelator. From he-man. I know not the same but in a way I feel yourr pain. I look in the mirror and do not like it at all no curves. I hope that you  are having your hormones monitored closely. They tell me I will gain weight but it has been two years and nothing yet. I just take the pills and hormones get my blood work and hope they will give me an answer. I pray you will have better results. You are not alone perhaps you can go to a support group. I find this to be helpful I can and talk others who understand. on either extreme. This has helped me some. I still won't give up trying to gain weight.  
A related discussion, weight gain sending me crazey was started.
I'm in the same boat. I wish I knew how to help us both. I now have a residual? tumor and go through periods of various symptoms happening all at once and then it will stop as quick as it started. Worse than the weight gain for me is the periods of extreme hatred of life and anger. The only thing that keeps me sane is that I have learned to tell myself "it will pass".
What replacements are you on?

What type of tumor did  you have? Some of the emotional issues can be related directly to the type of tumor - prolactinomas and Cushing's cause a lot of depression for example.

Also the replacements are not perfect - so weight gain caused by the abnormalities and now the replacements not fitting in perfectly are a constant issue for us all.