Brain Tumors Expert Forum
3 year old girl with arachnoid cyst

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

3 year old girl with arachnoid cyst

I have a 3 year old daughter who has been having unexplainable fevers for about a year.  She has been seeing things for a while.  In the past two weeks my daughter started complaining of headaches and started laying around just not acting like herself.  She has been overly aggressive and out right mean to me and her sisters.  This is not the little girl I am use to being around.  She was diagnosed with cranial arachnoid cyst.  It is 1 inch in length and 1 inch around.  We were in the hospital for a few days and they sent us home.  They said that the cyst was not big enough to cause such symptoms.  They have gave me no answers at all on why she is behaving like this.  I really believe that the cyst is causing all of the symptoms she is having.  Am I wrong?  Should I get a second opinion?  The doctor did say that the cyst causes behavoir changes.  Is she acting out or is the cyst causing this?  I am afraid to discipline her if she can not help it.  HELP!!!!  I am worried, her daycare said that they have noticed a big change in her also they are concerned also, she has not been herself.  She is cranky and plays hard then all of a sudden wants to lay around complaining of headaches.  She actually thinks she sees things.  She was sitting on the toilet and all of a sudden she started screaming and crying yelling a bear was going to get her she was petrified.  What and where do I go from here?
It can be very concerting to know that your child has a cyst.  Second opinions are always a good option to get more information.  Perhaps seeing a pediatric neurosurgeon is a good next step.
I realize the neurosurgeon suggested that the cyst was not big enough to cause symptoms. Although if there has been a character change in your duaghter you can still consider having get a neuropsychological evaluation: A Neuropsychological evaluation may be needed if you suspect your child has:

Difficulty thinking
Problems learning
Uncontrollable emotions
Unusual behaviors
Memory problems

This is done by a neuropsychologist. Consider contacting your local Brain Injury Association for a list of neuropsychologist. They also can do counseling.

Or possibly a psychological evaluation, which just evaluates the mental health aspects.

Goodluck.