Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Blood discharge from Breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Blood discharge from Breast

I just found out that my sister was seeing blood discharge on one of her breast for 2 weeks. Is this the sign of cancer. She is 40 years old, not married, does not have children, she is even virgine. Is this sign of cancer? If it is, is it early stage or late?
Dear mojgans: Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it
Several years ago, I had a slight bloody discharge from the left breast. After two weeks, I had a ductogram performed, which was inconclusive. I underwent an excisional biopsy which came back ductal carcinoma in situ. I was fortunate that this had given me a signal that something might have been wrong. I underwent radiation, and have been fine since then. If it persists, I would see a breast specialist to rule out DCIS.
Hi, Thanks everyone for your advice. She went to the doctor and the doctor ordered a mamogram (mammogram). The result of mamogram (mammogram) shows nothing. The doctor is ordering for biopsy. My sister is scaring now and trying to avoid it, I think she does not want to face it now and running away from it. Since biopsy is an injurey to the tissues, can this cause infection leading to cancer or other side effects? If the mamogram (mammogram) does not show anything what can be the cause of this continuous bleeding? If Mamgram does not show anything and the doctor is suggesting biopsy, how does the doctor knows from which part of the breast he or she should perform the biopsy, because they dont see any mass to point at and bleading is coming only from one duct of the nipple? How do they know which part of the breast might be the initiation of cancer? should a head to toe scan be performed? Can the bleeding be caused by cancer from another part of her body?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
In my case, they performed a ductogram, which can isolate which duct area it is originating from. Then, a skilled surgeon can perform an excisional biopsy. My mammogram had shown nothing also, that is why the ductogram was performed. Dye is injected into the nipple( somewhat painful), and then the INSIDES of the ducts are illuminated in a mammogram..also had an ultra sound that same day. See if she can get a ductogram performed.
Thanks very much kitty, I will talk to her right away.
Three weeks ago I began having a small, spontaneous bloody discharge about every other day from one breast only. A mammogram and ultrasound were performed and only a water-filled cyst was found and not diagnosed as the problem. Three days ago I underwent a breast biopsy and the surgeon took out a milk duct. He and my family physician believe the problem may be an intraductal papilloma - a small tumor in the milk duct. Most are benign. I am awaiting an answer right now from the pathologist. I am 45 years old and am in menopause. Anyone else had such a thing? I understand they are mostly non-cancerous.
A related discussion, blood in one breast was started.
A related discussion, Ductogram procedure next week, scared! was started.