Breast Cancer Expert Forum
I have yet another question!

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I have yet another question!

Will a cluster of microcalcifications eventually turn into cancer or can it stay benign forever?

I recently have been reading about mammorgrams and how they can contribute to cancer..meaning the radiation and crushing of the breasts can actually cause cancer in someone that is young like myself (I am 40)

My cluster looks benign based on last mammogram and they suggest I just come back in 6 months, I wanted to get a second opinion but now I am scared because of what I have read. I did read one article that says that no it does not cause cancer, but I read so many that says it does. I am really confused and scared as to what to do.
Dear Lisa71971,

Thanks for writing back.

Clustered microcalcifications may harbour cancer in about 30% cases (most of which are non-invasive, which mean that they are in the nascent stage of cancer development).

The most practical way is to follow them up over time. A lesion which does not change over six months can be taken as not of further concern. Otherwise, a biopsy will be required.

I think the plan suggested by your physician is reasonable. You should have a follow up in about six months.
Mammography is not known to increase the risks for cancer. However, there may be a very small chance, which cannot be ruled out completely. On the other hand, it is a very helpful diagnostic test and can save many lives from cancer. You should not hesitate to get another mammogram done.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh
A related discussion, twitching pain after breast stereotactic vacuum biopsy was started.