Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pain after Biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Pain after Biopsy

How normal is it to have alot of pain after a biopsy of the breast?  I had one yesterday on my right breast and am wondering if the size of my breast have anything to to with it. The pain extends into my shoulder and under my arm.  Tylenol does little to help the problem and I have some swelling as well.
Dear etolleson,  There can be some degree of discomfort after a biopsy.  Many factors will effect the individual experience such as type of biopsy, location, bruising, degree of swelling etc.  You may want to check with your surgeon, so they can evaluate for you and help in management of your discomfort.

Have you been able to get any answers?  I had the same thing - going on two months after and still have pain - it took a month to be seen at the Breast Center - they tell me the nerve endings were disrupted.  I am starting to have my doubts as to what it is.  Does anyone know where to look for answers?
Hi I am 23 yrs old and have had a lump in my left breast now for 4 years. It appeared there after having my baby 4 yrs ago. Its about silver dollar size but rectangular. I finally went to have it looked at and the doc sent me to get an ultrasound on it and they told me they needed me to see a specialist. So i went to the specialist and she said i need to have a "core biopsy" scheduled in the local hospital in 4 days! I have no family history of any cancer and i am seriously scared to death i mean terrified...
Do people get breast cancer at such a young age?? Ive been looking up sites and forums online and everyone says it hurts which makes me wanna cry just thinking about it. My pain tolerance is not good i have a very low tolerance to pain especially knowing they are going to stick needles in me and i am going to be awake!!
I have noone to talk to about this women wise so im not sure what to expect. Can anyone give me any encouragement or advice?
Sincerely,
Terrified in arizona!!!
I have had a core biopsy and a needle localization biopsy twice.  I am DEATHLY  afraid of needles.  Honestly, the worst part was the fear...there really was little pain during the procedures, and the recovery wasn't bad either. I am very small breasted, so the most difficult part was getting enough tissue into the mamography machine!  Be honest and upfront with the radiologist and technician...they are usually wonderful and deal with this daily.  I have requested the same "team" each time. Good luck, and just don't look at the needle.
I am a 27 old Male YES MALE. I had the needle biopsy and it hurt like hell. I have had pain in the arm and shoulder for 4 days now. The surgeon thought I should do a biopsy because of the large lump I had in my left breast. Anyone that tells you the its a little pinch is an idiot. The needle is 10 inchs + that shoots into your breat tissue and rips a piece of flesh out. It might sound graphic but thats what happens I am speaking as an customer Lol.
I had a biopsy last Nov. 2005. I'm still having pains. Is that normal?
I had a core biopsy in September and ever since I have been suffering with pain in my shoulder blade and under my arm.  The day that I had my procedure I was in pain but I thought it was normal.  As the days went on the pain got much worse and I thought it was coming from my breast and shooting into my back.  I was crying and could barely breathe due to the pain so my mom called the doctor and she said to take me to the hospital and treat me for anxiety.  The next day I was sitting down and my friend noticed that my shoulder blade was sticking out of my back.  It looked dislocated and I thought that it might be so I went to the chiropractor to get x-rays and see if they could pop it back in place.  They couldn't do anything for me that day because they wouldn't get the x-rays back until the next day.  After not having slept in days I finally went to the hospital that night.  They took x-rays and the bone looked in place.  They said that they thought that the nurse had pulled some muscles during the biopsy and they gave me a bunch of pain killers and sent me home.  I saw an orthopedist shortly after and he said that the nurse had overstretched a nerve.  If the nerve isn't able to tell the muscles what to do they don't support the bone and the bone falls.  He told me that if I didn't heal in 6 months I would probably never heal.  I still haven't healed so I am now seeing a pain managment doctor ans hw said he would have told me it would take a year to heal if it could.  I am still seeking answers and I am not sure what is really going on with my shoulder because I haven't had an emg or anything.  I noticed that some of you are experiencing shoulder pain as well and just wanted to share my story and see if anyone has seen a doctor or learned more about this subject.
A related discussion, waht does all this mean was started.
A related discussion, For those Afraid of needles/injections was started.
Hello,Im a 34yr.old mother...that had a core biopsy ...11months.....ago...I'm in pain....know...the recovery....was painful...about a month...of taken it easy.....but all of a sudden the pain fills the same from when I went to the biopsy....any thing else u can recomend....aside from the pain killers....
A related discussion, Pain after Mr guided breast biopsy!! was started.