Breastfeeding Community
Blisters on nipple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Blisters on nipple

Anybody experincing recurring blisters on nipple?  I've been nursing for two months now and I already got them once on the right nipple and twice on the left one.  A part for them being painful, they plug the milk ducts and my baby seems to have trouble feeding.

Also, my baby is still nursing every two hours during the day (3-4.5 hours at night) and he nurses for about 30 min to 1 hour.  I give him both the breast since I'm worried he is not taking enough since he's nursing so often.  My peditrician suggested to substitute a feeding with formula to help him go longer in between fieedings. He thinks my breast are not producing enough and therefore he's only taking snacks.  However, I fear my breasts are going to get too full; that happens during the night if occasionally he goes 5 hours.  My baby has always been very active and rarely sleeps during the day, so I think that may be one of the reasons for which he feeds often...
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!  
Don't get let your doc convince you your supply is not enough, it is extremely common to have a baby nurse that often. Unless your baby is losing weight or dehydrated there should be no need to supplement.

Thanks Andi.  The more I read about breastfeeding the more his advice does not sound right.  I keep reading the more you nurse the more milk you produce and therefore does not make sense to go longer between feedings (by using formula) to make my breasts fuller.
The blister broke finally, now my nipple is better.  Nursing has rarely been pain free for me.  And for some reasons I'm not able to pump.  Last time I attempted it, my breast got so red and sore that I thought I had mastitis!  I am now giving vitamins to my son and I need to use a little formula.  
But I know breast milk is the best nutrition for him so I'm not giving up!
Why do you need to give him formula? Giving the vitamins doesn't require formula.

Make sure he nurses off of the first breast for 15-20 minutes before switching breasts. He really needs to draw out the hind milk before starting on the other breast.

I simply took my multi-vitamin, ate pretty healthy and nursed. Never gave the vitamins and all three boys were extremely healthy and grew very well.

Good luck to you ;-)
Well,  apparently breast milk lacks iron and vitamin D. And it seems that the vitamins we take do not get to the milk...  I also try to eat as healthy as possible.  The pediatrician said to give him the vitamins with some expressed milk but again pumping is not that easy for me.  That's why I give them to him with a little formula.  I think today I'll try and see if he takes them without.

Sometimes it's hard to have him nurse for 15-20 min on the same breast because he gets frustrated when the flow decreases.  I don't know if it's just my breasts, but at the beginning he swallows after every suck (for about 3-5 min) and then he gradually increases and it can even take 10-15 ***** before he swallows.  Then, if he is patient, I get a second "let-down" and he again starts swallowing more often.  But if he is not patient, he starts pulling my nipple (pain!) and getting fussy .... I can't wait for him to start eating solids!  I'm so not enjoying breastfeeding!
The lactation consultants at the hospital recommend gently massaging the milk down the breast towards the nipple as baby nurses. This may help keep the flow more consistent so baby doesn't get frustrated.

Blisters on the nipples usually indicate a latch issue. Do you have a lactation consultant at your hospital or local La Leche League that you can contact for a consultation? Sometimes a slight misalignment in the latch can cause the blisters.

How old is your baby? 2-3 hours during the day and 3-5 hours at night sound right for a breastfeeding baby. Don't let your pediatrician talk you into supplementing if baby is doing fine and is on track for growth. Often times pediatricians are unfortunately not well informed on the details of breastfeeding. Best wishes!
May I suggest using Lanalin as well........It has helped me a great deal. Also it sounds like you have a problem with latch. You should be able to call the hospital you had the baby at and talk to a lactation consultant. Good luck! I'm struggling with breast issues myself....My baby is not gaining weight the way she should. The Dr seems to think I don't have enough calories since she is urinating and peeing good, just not gaining..
I know just where you're coming from, in fact I feel like I could have written this exact post!  I got milk blisters over and over for a couple of months.  The best "cure" I've found is taking lecithin every day, drinking lots of water, making sure my bra isn't too tight, and nursing every few hours.  If I go past 4-5 hours, it's almost certain one will develop.  Once they did, I took a shower and massaged towards the blockage after running HOT water on the breast for a few minutes.  The kellymom site has some good information on dealing with them.  Also, dd would get frustrated due to the blockage affecting milk flow, and since she couldn't get milk from the blocked duct she was hungry more often.  I'd always start her off with the blocked side and used Lamaze breathing to get through the initial OUCH at latching.  
As for the slowing milk flow frustrating your ds (my dd did the same thing where, when the flow slowed, she'd clamp my nipple in her gums and rear her head back in frustration- ouch!) I found some good information about breast compression on drjacknewman's website.  
My dd also nursed every two hours around the clock for more months than she "should" have, according to my pediatrician.  He told me that she was just in the habit of comfort nursing, but I know the difference between hungry nursing and just suckling, and she was definitely hungry.  She is my first child, so it was only after I spent some time with my friend and her baby that I realized what a dynamo my dd is.  This other baby slept for hours, then was content to sit in her infant seat and look around.  My dd didn't sleep the whole time we were there, and was constantly wiggling, kicking her feet, flapping her arms, and trying to roll over.  That's when I realized that she nurses so often because she burns a lot of calories, so I agree completely with you about that being a big factor.  
If you want to monitor his weight gain, most clinics will weigh your baby without charge.  That's what I did for the first two months because she lost a lot of her birthweight, and I struggled with my milk supply at first.  
I'm sorry you're not enjoying breastfeeding.  It's commendable that you're keeping with it for your ds's sake.  I've had some rough, painful periods of breastfeeding but it's gotten much better- I hope it does for you too!
Thanks everybody for your suggestions! Thank you chinesbones! I went to the website you advised and got a lot of helpful tips.  I'm going to start the breast compression during the next feeding.  It's amazing how our situations are similar! My ds has always been VERY VERY active. He is always moving and kicking ... He almost never sleeps during the day (since his first day out of the womb!).  I always thought that was probably one of the reason behind his great appetite!  He is 2 and 1/2 months and of course it is very tiring for me to nurse so often and since he doesn't sleep much, I don't get much rest either.  But he is healthy and that's what counts!  
Thnaks a lot!
Does your nipples hurt?  Is your baby's mouth more white than pink/red?