Aa
A
A
Close
Can Breastfeeding cause cramps
My stomach has started cramping mostly after I feed him. I just got to were my son wants breastmilk more than formula.
Cancel
11 Answers
Page 1 of 1
757137 tn?1347200053
Is it your stomach that is cramping, or is it the cramps you get when you have your period?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Stomach cramping
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
2020005 tn?1472427714
When did you have your baby? For the first month or 2 after I had my daughter I would get cramps while BF'ing or right after, it was my uterus cramping, breastfeeding causes small contractions.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
5549102 tn?1376526273
I know it can make you hungry and make your uterus contract as stated above.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I had my son a little over three weeks ago. So mate that is it. I just thought they had stopped but they really hurt sometime. Last night I took a pain pill because it was too much to handle while breastfeeding.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
2020005 tn?1472427714
ohh yeah, definitely probably is still that. I had a c-section and the first few weeks after having my daughter, especially the first week, it felt like i was in labor, not kidding!! the contractions were intense the first little bit
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Oh man its hard to breastfeed being in that much pain.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
973741 tn?1342346373
I think one of the touted benefits to breast feeding is that it helps your uterus contract down to its original size.  It releases hormones that then cause the contractions to decrease the size of the uterus.  Ultimately that is a good thing but not comfortable when you are breast feeding.  I had them too.  They should begin to decrease a bit soon sweetie.  

Breast feeding has its challenges.  Try to stick with it as it gets easier.  It ended up being one of the best experiences for me in having a baby.  

hope the contractions end soon.  peace to you and enjoy your little one.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Thank you.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
5848391 tn?1380732242
Yes, breastfeeding does cause contractions when you are postpartum. I felt them all the way up to 6 weeks. My midwife said they are a good thing, although they hurt. It is the reason why breastfeeding mom's recover their bellies faster -- you know, slim up. The uterus is shrinking in size, and breast feeding mom's shrink down faster, probably due to the ability to have stronger postpartum contractions. I know that doesn't do much for the pain. Midwife told me continue tylenol. Hope you feel better soon!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Thanks I'm not exclusive bf because I haven't been able to produce enough milk but I'm hoping to get some pills this week to help.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources