Breastfeeding Community
Exclusively pumping, should i pump more?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exclusively pumping, should i pump more?

Hi everyone! my baby girl is 2 weeks old on friday and we are exclusively breastfeeding/pumping. right out of the hospital i could produce 4 oz per 2-3 hours which i hear is a miracle for new moms. we tried breastfeeding but the last day at the hospital she got lazy and stopped trying to latch which led to her sleeping all day and not feeding so i started to pump there. (manual medela) i waited 4-5 days to buy a double breast pump incase she decided to try breast feeding again and ended up with a Lansinoh affinity double pump. ive been storing breast milk for her pretty well. i just basically pumped whenever i felt full and started keeping track of how much she ate vs how much i pump. when i finally got to counting and pumping on a schedule i noticed that my supply stayed the same and didnt increase. so what is the point of pumping 8 times a day if im getting the same amount pumping 6x? ive added in pumps in the middle of the night but its just stressful having to get up especially if shes actually sleeping 5 hours. and im not pumping more than 3-4 oz at that time anyways. should i continue to try to pump 8times a day including the night pump? or should i just relax and pump the way i did when i first got home, getting the same amount of milk?

she eats anywhere from 19-22 oz a day and i pump 30-34oz
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
Routine is key with pumping and bear in mind that as she gets bigger her demand for milk will increase. The first twelve weeks is the time to establish your supply to meet that demand. Sounds like things are going well but the extra couple of pumps will indicate to your body that the demand for milk is going to increase and it will take a few more weeks of a strict pumping schedule for your body to start making that extra milk you are going to need. It is recommended that during the first 12 weeks you pump at least once during the night (between 3 am and 5 am) as that is when your prolactin (the hormone that drives breast milk production in the postpartum period) levels are at their highest. You are doing great. Good luck.
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
I agree with everything that mum2beagain said. Definitely keep at least 1 night pump in there.
The guidelines say to pump every 2-3 hours round the clock. However, not every body is the same. If that is not possible for you, and if you are keeping track of ounces produced, then i guess you could try 6 times a day as long as you have at least 1 night pump in there. If you see a drop in ounces or if you feel like you want to boost your supply, then you can add an extra pump or 2 in. If you do choose to pump less frequently, then I would definitely pump for a longer time each session, as you do want to find some way to tell your body to produce more. This is not what is "ideal" or recommended, but it can be hard to do what is ideal. it's possible that you are a high volume pumper. like i said, keep track of ounces to make sure you can maintain this.
by the way, i would follow a loose schedule instead of just pumping when you feel full.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...