Breastfeeding Community
FEVER, IN PAIN!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

FEVER, IN PAIN!

So, I started getting the chills today, with a huge pain on my right breast, so big I feel dizzy. I called my obgyn and he prescribed something for me to stop breasfeeding...The thing is that I just dont want to give up.  I have been crying all day feeling down, and feeling I have done things wrong.
Thank God that I was able to reach the Liga de la Leche (this is the name in spanish).  The LC will be visiting me tomorrow morning and in the meantime told me to soak cold chamomille tea and put it all over my breasts to ease the pain.
I breastfed my first for 8 months (a girl) and everything was fine.
I feel so bad, so exausted, I have tried everything...Please pray the LC will be able to help me!!  
Dont stop breastfeeding!!!! The best thing you can do is nurse like crazy on the side that hurts. I've had the same thing you're having....3 times!! Its awful. Fever of over 101, chills then sweats, pain (and redness) in one breast, and migraine headache too.....I took tylenol to reduce fever and nursed a LOT. All three times the fever susided within 24-36 hours and so did the pain. It is a blocked duct or mastitis. It will improve.....I know how you feel, and hope you feel better asap!! Thats great about your visit from LLL, they'll be able to help you. ((hugs))
Did he prescribe you an antibiotic? When I had those symptoms, I was promptly prescribed antibiotics. He also gave me extra to keep on hand in case the symptoms ever returned on a weekend when i couldn't get in touch with him. It is important to treat mastitis as soon as possible. The antibiotics prescribed for mastitis are safe to take while breastfeeding.

Do you have a clogged duct? A hard, hot area on the breast? If so, the best thing you can do, in addition to what LLL told you, is to nurse that side as much as possible to relieve it. I know there are other tricks as well such as nursing different positions, with your breast hanging down over the baby, etc... hopefully some of the other ladies can enlighten you.
I had mastitis once and it was terrible. I did start to get relief within 24 hours of starting antibiotics, but i had to work to get the clog out. After that incident I learned that for me, the most effective way to get a clog out was to use the cheap manual pump that the hospital gave me (also came with the pump in style- it looks like a bike pump). the suction on that thing was strong enough to suck any clogs i had after that incident.

good luck tomorrow. I am confident that the LC will be able to help you or at least give you more helpful info than your doctor. I would also consider switching to a doctor who has a better understanding of breastfeeding and issues related to it. To suggest you stop breastfeeding because of 1 incident is ludicrous. I hope you feel better soon!!!
Yes, I have a hot, red area on my breast, my fever reached 103.  On top of that my nipples are cracked from what I beleive a bad latch (Two Drs assured its not thrush).
This is not my first issue, I have been in terrible pain since 2 weeks ago :( and still have continued BF.  This is the 1st day I have got a fever.  He doesnt know about the fever yet.
Your words mean so much to me, I have felt so bad today...I took tylenol for the fever and I feel much better!
Ps. I dont think im able to pump, my nipples hurt like heck! Have you heard about the chamomille tea?
I did not consult my doctor, I decided to wait 24 hours and see if my fever and pain went down and if it hadn't I'd call. I had read that nursing frequently on the painful side would help....and it did. It was very painful though, and I felt all together miserable. I had a hard, red spot on one breast w/each of my "episodes"....

I agree, for a doctor to suggest stopping breastfeeding is ridiculous!!!!
I have heard about the teabags.... hope it helps! Sorry you're feeling down - we've all been there! Breastfeeding is so much more involved than you think going into it....at least it is for me! The LLL can help you with latch issues; be sure to get some tips tomorrow during the visit. DS had latch issues too and still "forgets" sometimes (he's 18 weeks!) and I have to help him. Good for you for sticking with it, you're doing great!!
You need a new doctor, ASAP. A doctor needs to evaluate this and get you started on antibiotics. Motrin and rx pain medication can be very helpful until the antiobiotics begin working and cool compresses may ease the pain as well.Continue nursing, the only time you need to stop nursing is when there is a visible abscess on the nipple and even then you are instructed to pump and dump until the infection clears but to continue nursing on the other side. Nursing on a breast with mastitis is one of the best things you can do, it helps to draw out the infection and keeps the supply up.

I had this happen to me when I went back to work and had to start pumping. It hurt like crazy and i was really scared! My dr said to also take Lecithin. It's a vitamin that helps clear the milk duct. It really helped! That and nurcing my son. Now i take 2 pills a day and havent had any trouble since.