Breastfeeding Community
Fenugreek to increase milk supply

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Fenugreek to increase milk supply

My son is 4mths old and when taking a bottle he eats 6oz. I feel my milk supply  is not keeping up with the amount he drinks. I have been told by a lactation nurse to take fenugreek 610mg, 3 capsules 3 times a day. She told me the dosage is high but not to worry thats what it takes to increase production. Has anyone taken this and what was the dosage?
D:-)
Why do you fear your supply does not keep up? A baby is far more efficient at drawing out milk than a pump and he could be drawing out that much in a matter of a few minutes.

I remember the first time I used a pump, it was a crummy single electric and I got 6 ounces out in a few minutes, I could only imagine how much my son was getting as I know he was getting more when he nursed directly.

I am sorry, I am not familiar with the dosing of Fenugreek. Hopefully someone can advise on that topic.

Mostly i was just wondering why you were worried about your supply. 99.9% of the time the supply is more than adequate. Worry about ounces is unnecessary as the baby is the best gauge ;-)

Good luck.
I worry because when I pump, I get between 1 1/2 to maybe 3 ozs per side in a session. Last night his last feeding, I nursed him instead of giving him a bottle and he woke up two times. With a bottle he will sleep from 9:00 to 7:00 the next morning. That makes me feel he is not getting a good full stomach. What do you think?
Thanks for your help,
D:-)
If you go to kellymom (.com) and search fenugreek you will get a good article on this  This website recommends taking 3-6 grams a day and your lactation consultant is suggesting you take about 5.4 grams which is within the recommended range (just closer to the high range).

I took fenugreek for 2 days (weekend) at the 6 gram/day level BUT had to stop when I went back to work (day 3) because I smelt incredibly strongly of this herb! Be prepared for that - baby will also smell of fenugreek.

I didnt notice any change in my supply but didnt expect too after only 2 days.  I am going to try it again this week as I will be off work.  Let me know how you find it and what results you get.  I have read that if your milk supply is boosted and you stop taking the herb, your milk supply will continue to stay at that level provided nothing else change (number of feedings etc.).  Hopefully someone with some more first hand expereince will come along and give us some information.
I used fenugreek for the first month since it took a while to get a good supply established. I took 2-3 610mg capsules 3 times a day. I noticed the difference if  took them vs if I missed a dose. My son is only 7 weeks, but I still take the fenugreek occassionally. I never smelled like it that I noticed though...
The suggestion for reading on kellymom is a good one.  That's a fantastic website for breastfeeding info in general.

I took fenugreek for a few weeks, 3 capsules, 3 times daily.  Increasing the water you drink really helps a lot too, and is a good idea whether you're taking fenugreek or not.  Fenugreek is a diuretic, which means it increases the fluids you excrete.  Be prepared to sweat more and urinate more as well as producing more milk.  The smell can be pretty strong (smells a lot like maple syrup - reminded me of pancakes!), but it is sweet and not at all unpleasant.

Also, you might try switching your pump to another model.  I was convinced I couldn't pump at all, until someone gave me a low-priced manual Avent from Target.  I think people just respond differently to different pumps - manual or electric, different brands, etc.