Breastfeeding Community
Is breast feeding hard?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Is breast feeding hard?

Im a ftm and was told breast feeding is very demanding. Im 32+1 and have always wanted to breast feed, as its best for baby. Im just worried tht it will be to much and milk doesnt come thro and all tht. The midwife told me tht baby can want fed every hour, i take it after a while th baby goes longer for a feed?
The beginning can be a bit difficult. It takes some time for baby to learn to latch on properly. While in the hospital request to have a lactation consultant come and show you how to properly get him to latch on. The best way to get your milk to come in is to drink a lot of water and nurse your baby frequently. In the beginning babies will eat what seems like constantly but as their stomachs grow they will start go go for longer lengths of time between feedings.
Thank you. That helps :)!
The first few days like tommorrow264 said but yeah I totally agree once baby learns how to latch on its soo much easier. Yeah baby seems to lengthen out feeds. My baby 3months and goes every two hours or so. But only feeds like 15-20 minutes if that!
I agree with the other posts - allow the baby to feed on demand at first and that at times will mean to cluster feed.  The baby will want to feed frequently and that will help build your supply. Also, if you pump immediately after feeding that will help with your supply if that is a concern. Staying hydrated is key - that makes a big difference for me.  Keep with it, stay calm, and ask for help if/when you have questions!  Best of luck!
I fully agree with everyone here, great comments.

Feedings are so frequent initially that you may find yourself in a daze for a week or two or three before it gets easier.

Looking back, the first couple of days were the most important to get baby to latch on properly. Ignore any formula samples you may be given, avoid pacifiers and have your baby get used to "opening wide" while latching on or else you will get damaged in no time. There are lots of illustrations showing how to break the suction if the latch is not right. It`s worth getting this part right from the start.

The other hurdle is when your supply increases tremendously during the first week and later on again during baby`s growth spurts and you think baby is not using all of this. And then there will be times when feeding is fully established that you think you are not producing enough while this only means your body learned to produce just as much as needed. Just don`t fall for supplementing with water or formula and all should go well.

See how it works out for you and baby. You can always stop when one of you had enough.
Thanks ladies. helps alot. Im a very determend person so i will try till i do it. Thanks again.
I too agree w/ everyone here.  It can be challenging at first, but it will get better and easier.  Although it has its challenges, there are also many things about it that makes it easier than formula feeding, other than the better nutritional value.  You don't have to mix anything.  It goes with you everywhere you go.  It is always the proper temperature, etc.  Many health benefits and other benefits too.  You can do it!!  Good luck!!
For me the  first 2 weeks were the toughest but after that it was just a daily activity for my daughter and I. U just have to be committed. Women have been breastfeeding since the evolution of human kind. It's natural. In my opinion, anyone that says that it is impossible or not doable is just lazy. It is demanding but why have a kid if u don't want to give it the best. I work 45 hrs a week And still manage.
Yeah i defo think its th best thing for baby. Thats why we hav boobs at end of th day. I defo plan on doin it. But none of my friends or anyone i no has breastfed so no one can help me. I will defo b askin at hosptial and tht bfor i leav.
Hopefully you can find support here, I know I have. None of my friends have breast fed their babies.  My mom did with her first, but only for a short time.  I took it one day at a time, and have had great success.  Hopefully the people in your life will support you and what you want to do. I couldn't have done this if my husband wasn't so supportive - taking the older kids and occupying them while I've been nursing our 3rd.  Just stick with it!
One thing that I found really helpful was during a breastfeeding class was the midwife taught us the safe ways to cosleep. The realisation is that you may fall asleep while feeding your baby but if you learn the was to do it safely it really does help a lot! It was the phisically getting out of bed that I find tiring so cosleeping is a heaven sent and it means baby has free range to your breast which will get your supply up