Micronor or "mini pill" while BF'ing
My 6 week check up is in 9 days and I'm thinking of getting on micronor or the "mini pill" because I'm EBF'ing my daughter, I've read some things online about it causing terrible mood swings and breakthrough bleeding, and it not being as effective? I have the option of an IUD, which I don't want, this pill, depo, or OTC BC options like condoms, etc. The pill is what I'm used to and honestly I'd rather have a pill, but I'm scared this pill is going to cause terrible symptoms, has anyone been on it? I've also read from a few BF'ing moms that it DID cause a decrease in supply although it shouldn't. I just need some experienced opinions!
I took the mini pill while breastfeeding my first son and it didn't work well for me. I had my period every two weeks on it and got two ovarian cysts in 6 months which means I ovulated at least twice while on it. I got the depo shot after my second child and it worked great for me but I have heard horror stories about it.
I've read about cysts and bad breakthrough bleeding with it, it really scares me, and I've heard even worse about depo, so I won't take that either. I'm not allergic to latex but for some reason whenever we use condoms it burns so bad, I don't know what to do! :(
I have the same problem with condoms and I'm not allergic to latex either. Maybe the copper IUD would be a good option for you. I'm sure your Dr will have recommendations for you.
My SIL had terrible experience with the IUD so I'm weary about getting that, too. I really only feel comfortable with the pill so I'm going to call him tomorrow with a list of my concerns about it, thank you for your help!
You're welcome. I'm sure you'll find a solution that works for you.
Why don't u consider the mirena?  If u heard nightmare stories I wouldn't give into.the small statistic. I heard bad things about every contraceptive. I had the mirena for 5 years and I absolutely loved it. I didn't have my period and my hormones weren't out of wack. Nothing else worked for me I tried most before that.
My SIL actually had it and bled constantly for 3 weeks with bad cramping, it just worries me to get something implanted for that long. Almost everyone I've heard says they don't like it, what about the strings that you check? Are they easily checked and did they bother you?
I would be reluctant to mess with my body chemistry while breastfeeding. Too much can go wrong.
I know, I'm so worried about it! Some women don't dry up, some do. I reallu want to get to at least 6 months so I'm really hoping nothing happens!
I didnt feel the string and neither did my hubby when we were intimate. I suppose everyones body reacts differently to contraceptives. My sister had the mirena and bled daily for a month before she took it out. I had no problems at all. Just depends how ur body responds to it. My doctor also told me before I got it that u don't need to technically have ur period, only need it when u plan to have a baby. And I didn't complain about no periods :)
I have a lot of friends have an IUD and they love it. I have heard side effects are worst if you haven't given birth but don't know anyone who has it and hasn't given birth. My understanding is that progesterone only birth control can increase your milk production. That's why I went with the depo and I breastfed for 18 months.
I took this with some and had no problems but with the last one that I took it with, I bled a lot so I stopped taking it.  It is prescribed because it is a progesterone only pill.  Estrogen, which is found in other bc pills, can affect your supply.  It may also not be good for the extra estrogen to be passed through to the baby.  So a hormone free IUD would be your best bet IMO.  I highly DO NOT recommend Depo.  I got that after my first baby and gained 20 pounds within 2 months.  Weight gain and crazy periods are very common with it so keep that in mind.

I don't know how you feel about this but you may also consider spermicides and condoms for a while too.  At least you don't have to worry about hormones or side effects.
I'm really scared of an IUD, so I feel more comfortable with the pill.. we are using condoms as well though because I've read the mini pill is less effective than regular, and a lot of women have gotten pregnant on it. Hopefully it's good for me!
I hope so too KTowne.  I wouldn't be scared and at least give it a try.  It may work very well for you.  I am very fertile...my husband and I.  I am expecting my 8th child, but I never got pregnant on it while breastfeeding...well ever but that is when I took it.  My doctor did tell me that when/if I did decide to stop BFing, to be sure to take a regular pill.  We use NFP (natural family planning) now.  And I can't say for sure, but my guess is that probably most women that have gotten pregnant when taking it, may not have been BFing at the time.  And most, NOT ALL, women that are very early PP, are fairly infertile anyway.  There are always exceptions, of course, but for most women, EBF delays ovulation for some time post baby.
thank you so much! I've always done well with pills, when she's weaned from BF'ing I'll definitely switch to the regular pill but hopefully that won't be for a while. I've read on it though that cysts and extreme mood swings are common, was that the case for you?
I took the mini pill with my second baby and had zero problems with it.  I have more probs with regular bc pills.(long story lol)  I understand about the iud thing, 2 of my friends got it and had nothing but issues.  Good luck
thanks so much!!
I just came from my dr appt and opted for the pill. My dr said there's less side effects compared to the other options I was looking into. When im done with BF I can switch over to the regular pill as well.
I have my 6 week check up on Tues. I'll be getting the pill and using condoms the first month since the pill won't be effective yet, and probably continue using condoms, watching for ovulation if possible, and definitely pulling out even with a condom, haha. No babies for me for a while!!
I have the non hormonal iud. I've been bleeding pretty much since birth and Aidyn is 9w. I've had a few days of no bleeding and we didn't feel anything during sex. The strings are super easy to check too. I've had it almost three weeks and haven't cramped much at all.

Any bc you use can cause irregular bleeding for the first three months. I don't mind the bleeding right now bc I've been bleeding anyways I guess. Lol