Breastfeeding Community
What to eat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

What to eat?

I'm trying to avoid reading too much online and won't see the pediatrician until late next week (baby delivering Monday), so I thought I'd post here. What kind of diet did you maintain while breastfeeding? I keep hearing and reading it's not as strict as when pregnant, but I've been so SO good for 10 months; I don't want to stray too far away and screw up what the baby gets through breastfeeding. I've not had a sip of caffeine, sushi, or excessive sugar... no hot dogs, very limited on fish, cheese, etc. since April. I know many of you ate what you wanted and delivered perfectly healthy babies, but I guess I'm still looking for what's "ideal" while breastfeeding. Any input would be great, or if you have a good link to something online, I'd welcome that, too.
Oatmeal helped double my milk supply. Also stay away from dairy.
Oatmeal increases milk supply. Things that cause gas like broccoli and cauliflower can cause baby to be gassy. Also caffeine, carbonation and chocolate. You do NOT have to avoid dairy unless your baby has issues with it. If not milk is a great source of protein which you need a lot of for milk supply.
Some nursing moms find they can eat whatever they like. While it's true that some strongly flavored foods may change the taste of your milk, most babies seem to enjoy a variety of breast milk flavors! Generally, the dominant flavors of your diet — whether soy sauce or chili peppers — were in your amniotic fluid during pregnancy. Fetuses swallow a fair amount of amniotic fluid before birth, so when they taste those flavors again in their mother's breast milk, they're already accustomed to them.

Occasionally a baby will be fussy at the breast or gassy after you eat a particular food. If you notice a pattern, avoid that food for a few days. To test whether that food really was the cause, reintroduce it once and see if there's an effect. Mothers report that babies most often object to chocolate; spices (cinnamon, garlic, curry, chili pepper); citrus fruits and their juices, like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit; strawberries; kiwifruit; pineapple; the gassy veggies (onion, cabbage, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, and peppers); and fruits with a laxative effect, such as cherries and prunes.

A daily cup or two of coffee is fine, but too much caffeine can interfere with your baby's sleep or make him fussy. Remember that caffeine is also found in some sodas, teas, and over-the-counter medicines.

It's also okay to have an occasional alcoholic drink. But having more than one drink increases your blood alcohol level to the point that the alcohol gets into your milk. If you plan on having more than one drink at a time, wait two hours per drink before resuming nursing (or nurse, then have your glass of wine). There's no need to pump and dump unless your breasts are full and it's still not time to feed your baby. Moderate or heavy drinking is definitely not recommended while breastfeeding. An old wive's tale suggests that dark beer increases milk production, but recent studies suggest this is not true and that alcohol, in fact, reduces milk production.

If your baby has allergy symptoms (such as eczema, fussiness, congestion, or diarrhea), they may be caused by something he's in regular contact with, such as soap, mildew, or foods he's eating himself. Or he may be reacting to foods you eat that get into his system via your breast milk. It usually requires a bit of detective work to figure out exactly what's causing the sensitivity.

If you think that something you're eating is causing problems for your baby, it's usually something you've eaten two to six hours before feeding. The most common culprits include cows' milk products, followed by soy, wheat, egg, nuts, and corn or corn syrup.

Talk to your baby's doctor before you omit any foods from your diet. If avoiding a food could cause a nutritional imbalance (for example, if you eliminate all dairy products), you may need to see a nutritionist for advice on substituting other foods or taking nutritional supplements. Continue taking your prenatal vitamin as long as your baby's fully breastfed to cover any gaps in your own diet.
I personally way whatever I want. I avoid majorly sweet/sugary junk and fast food, but that's about it. My baby doesn't have problems with anything I eat so for me I don't have any limitations. Anything can be eaten in moderation. Just remember, if it's bad for the body limit it-don't starve yourself of it.
If there is a history of allergies in either side of the family, then I would avoid the causing allergens.

I was cautious with a few things that included gassy foods (beans, chickpeas, broccoli, cauliflower etc) or caffeine in the first few months. I never really eat fast food anyway but I drank Ovolmaltine and malt-based drinks (non-alcoholic) boost your milk supply, as do teas with fennel and anise, and fennel is also very good for gassy babies. I found that after I drank fennel tea and then breastfed around 2 hours afterwards, my daughter was less gassy.

My daughter didn't really have any problems with what I ate, most don't, my husband had a big issue with dairy products as a baby but I was never cautious with dairy. My daughter did have sensitive skin and reacted to normal detergents and fabric softener. So I had to resort to dermatologically tested detergents for sensitive skin and a disinfectant.

The key is to eat healthily and drink adequately. I also took prenatal vitamins while exclusively breastfeeding , that's something that you could perhaps consider.
I ate what ever I wanted, but some mom's find that they need to adjust there diet based on the babies needs.  For my oldest he had issues when I drank milk and ate dairy, so I cut that out.  

Basically when breastfeeding your body takes what it needs regardless if your eating it or not.    If your not eating well then your health will suffer, not the babies.  The only time to cut things out is if the baby has problems (Milk is very common, soy and sometimes other foods).

My little girl (currently breastfeeding) will allow me to eat anything, so I'll eat what ever I'm feeling like.  For drinking, I try to limit the caffeine as it can also cause some issues in some babies (In a baby I donated milk to in the past, but not my girl).  I do drink wine and beer (but I don't feed the baby milk if I've had "too much", one or two drinks is fine for me but if I've had more I either wait or not feed the baby the milk).  
I've always eaten everything I wanted. Unless you have a baby with a confirmed milk allergy, you need to get lots of dairy because you will end up with ostioperosis if you don't. Keeping taking your vitamins and eat all you can get. :-)
I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Since I never ate junk food that was not an issue. Yes, I drank coffee. I drank tea. I had the occasional glass of wine. If you are on a heathy varied diet, so is your baby.

I can remember the advice and idiot once gave me. I was headed to India with my baby and I was told not to eat curry because it would upset the baby. So I asked, "What do Indian women do? Buy a western cookbook?".