Breastfeeding Community
Why is my frozen breastmilk going sour?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Why is my frozen breastmilk going sour?

I have worked so hard to build up my supply over the last month to have a stock ready for my son when he goes to daycare (which is today). I have frozen probably 30 bags of milk, each somewhere between 4-8 ounces, since mid-March. From what I know, breastmilk can be frozen for up to three months or maybe more in a typical freezer that is a separate attachment on a refrigerator. But I guess my milk is the exception. Every single one of my millk bags has gone sour. Every single one--I am devastated. All that hard work down the drain...literally speaking.
I just don't understand it. I have the bags in the freezer within less than four hours from pumping it, and in the meantime, it's refrigerated (while I'm at work). As soon as I thaw it, it gets a nasty yellow fat layer on the top of the milk and the rest of the milk has small curds in it. This is going on with milk that was frozen not even three days ago!
The milk has been stored in two freezers; my grandmother-in-law's and my own. Are the freezers not cold enough? Am I thawing the milk wrong? Is there something dietary I'm not aware of that turns milk sour after a couple of hours?

To thaw it, I put it in hot tap water until it's thawed completely. I change the tap water once after it's thawed in order to warm up the milk to a lukewarm temperature. Either that, or I just lay the milk bag out to thaw on its own at room temperature. However it's thawed, it doesn't seem to matter--every single bag of thawed milk is sour.
What is going on?
I can't use forumula to compensate for what I've thrown away--I tried that yesterday and my son HATES the taste of formula worse than the sour breastmilk (go figure). But he won't drink the sour breastmilk without a huge fuss, and who can blame him? It smells and tastes awful, and I wish so much that he'd take a small bottle of formula so I can re-build a fresher supply in the meantime. I sent him to daycare this morning with one 7 oz bottle of fresh pumped milk, and he's not even supposed to have that because I had a colonoscopy yesterday and I was advised not to feed him for 24 hours due to the anesthesia. Well, this morning he refused a bottle of formula with a downright nasty tantrum, complete with the disgusted face, gagging, and crocadile tears--like it's the worst thing I've ever put in his mouth. I caved and breastfed him, then pumped. I'll be going to his daycare in an hour to breastfeed him for the afternoon, just to make sure he has something to eat. I also sent 12 ounces of sour milk with him that I had thawed out this morning that was only pumped last Thursday, the 29th (only four days ago!), just in case he throws such a fit with the formula again. At least he will drink some of the sour breastmilk and not refuse it like he does the formula. But I feel like a terrible mom for even sending that with him! Like, what kind of a mother offers their baby sour milk?! I hope he doesn't get hungry enough that they have to offer it to him before I get there.
Anyway, please help me--I need to know how to keep my stored milk fresh so my baby can eat a healthy, decent-tasting meal. :-(
Are you sure it's sour? Mine is more yellow after it's thawed as well, and it does separate a bit more than the fresh stuff. Does it smell sour? I think it sounds fine! I hope you didn't dump it all!
I'm pretty sure it's sour. It smells sour and I tasted it--it's definitely sour. I've tasted fresh pumped milk, and milk that I've refrigerated for up to two days, and those doesn't have the sour taste to them that the thawed frozen milk does.
Frozen milk has a different coloring, consistency and taste after being thawed. There are lots of babies who refuse thawed milk because it is a different taste then fresh milk, and the temperature is never the same as from mom.  My LC told me that breastmilk won't smell sour like cows milk, it gets more of a rotten food smell.  It's composition is different than cows milk, which allows for different smells when no good.  
I don't have any advice for you except to maybe thaw it more slowly in the refrigerator, it thaws fairly quickly, I can take it out in the morning and it is thawed mostly by the next morning.  It should be used within 24 hours of being thawed also.  
Good luck!
Okay, so I did some google searching and now I feel like such a ditz because I could've done that in the first place, lol. Anyway, I found out that the milk is not actually sour (so great--I just tossed like 10 bags of perfectly fine milk, but oh well). I got some really good information from these sites (without the spaces):

http :// www. medelabreastfeedingus. com/forums/p/323/433.aspx

http :// community. babycenter. com/post/a4733015/frozen_breastmilk_tastes_funny...

Thanks everybody for your help! I really appreciate it. :-)

The aft in the milk does that and it is not sour:) I can see why someone could think that though, glad you figured it out!
My milk did this too but my baby took it fine. Maybe try mixing a bit of fresh pumped milk with the thawed, might get him used to it better.
It could be excessive lipase.  

***********************/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

Sorry your links are not working.
My dd is the same way = we had the same problem.  DD would also throw a fit same as your baby.  It was only because the milk did not taste the same as "fresh" it did the same thing as you described i also smelled and tasted it thinking it was "sour" . Turns out it wasn't sour at all and i started scalding the milk before freezing it- it took that "sour" smell and taste away.  Our problems was excessive Lipase.  Check it out on the web you can totally get around that problem!!!! good luck - fun learning as we go huh ;)
What exactly does it mean to "scald" the milk? Boil it?
I thought boiling the milk was not recommended because it would diminish the nutrients and antibodies...
Thanks again for all the help!