Breastfeeding Community
baby feeding to increase milk or using nipple as pacifier?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

How does one know if your baby is constantly sucking to try to increase your supply of milk or just using your nipple as a pacifier? My baby is 13 days old and for about 4-5 hours a day he will suck every hour or more frequently. At night he ***** every 3-4 hours and most of the day every 2-3 hours. I know it takes about 2-3 weeks for my milk to reach his demand but I am worried he is becoming a "snack and snoozer"?
Sounds like a growth spurt. I keep meaning to add a health page with the common ages of those things and keep forgetting.

Generally the first 4 weeks consists of back-to-back spurts to really establish your supply. On demand feeding will help with that for sure. You should be seeing them about every 2 weeks for the first 2 months and then they spread to 3 weeks, than 4 weeks.

He is right on track with his nursing schedule for sure by the sounds of it.