help: nipple shield.
So my son is a week old, when he was born he had a difficult time latching on to my nipple so the nurse gave me a nipple shield to use...it's now 7 days later and i cannot get him to latch without it :/ he tries, latches for like 20 seconds and ***** maybe once (tries at least) & then just starts screaming and jerking his head back and forth. :( any helpful tips you ladies can provide?? It's so frustrating for Me.
I know the feeling as I was in your same situation. Lucky for me when my son was between two and three weeks old I just quit using it and he accommodated. The recommendations I have overheard my lactation consultant discuss included starting a feeding with the shield giving him a few minutes and then pulling it off to latch him to you. I would honestly recommend giving him more time to adjust, even though I know how much it s*cks.