Breastfeeding Community
help: nipple shield.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

help: nipple shield.

So my son is a week old, when he was born he had a difficult time latching on to my nipple so the nurse gave me a nipple shield to use...it's now 7 days later and i cannot get him to latch without it :/ he tries, latches for like 20 seconds and ***** maybe once (tries at least) & then just starts screaming and jerking his head back and forth. :( any helpful tips you ladies can provide?? It's so frustrating for Me.
I know the feeling as I was in your same situation. Lucky for me when my son was between two and three weeks old I just quit using it and he accommodated. The recommendations I have overheard my lactation consultant discuss included starting a feeding with the shield giving him a few minutes and then pulling it off to latch him to you. I would honestly recommend giving him more time to adjust, even though I know how much it s*cks.