Breastfeeding Community
left breast milk supply
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

left breast milk supply

Is it normal to have less milk supply in one side? I just tried to pump out of my left side and there was nothing!! I fed baby girl an hour ago from both sides.
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2020005_tn?1396821681
For me one side always has a bigger production, my LC said it's perfectly normal, and just because you can't pump much out of it doesn't mean it's got a milk supply problem. My left boob I can hardly get anything out of!
Blank
I had my Post partum appt today and doc said normal. He did say to feed from.the side that has less and once she is done to give her the good side. So I suppose I will try that.
Blank
2020005_tn?1396821681
I'll have to start trying that, too. thanks!
Blank
889551_tn?1331946140
It's common to have that happen. At night I feed from one side and then just alternate breasts as he wakes up. During the day I feed from both sides during a feeding. And it evened it out. Now I'm choking him on let downs because it just squirts so hard. I also eat a huge bowl of oatmeal every few days.
Blank
Oatmeal? Is that supposed to be good for milk supply?
Blank
Oatmeal? Is that supposed to be good for milk supply?
Blank
889551_tn?1331946140
Yep. I buy the kind you cook on the stove. I've heard steel cut is the best, but I've used old fashioned and steel cut and both seem to do just as good.
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
I was never able to nurse or pump off of the right side. I nursed three boys for a total of 48 months between the three on only the left breast. No formula at all. They were huge babies so it clearly worked,lol. They were all over 8# at birth and by a year, were between 25-30#! It was more work around the clock, but I did it. My youngest didn't eat any solids during his first year and was 30# at a year!

Oatmeal is a great way to help with milk production as is fenugreek. Keeping hydrated helps as well. There are a few ways to address this. One is by starting the feedings on the lower side to see if the more urgent latch helps. However, it can backfire and create a frustrated baby. Another option is to start on the easier breast until baby settles and isn't so frantic, then switch just a bit into the feed rather than finishing the feed on one breast before switching. I hope that wasn't too confusing.  And definitely make sure you arent waiting too long to nurse, an overly hungry baby is a frustrated baby. Good luck!
Blank
615752_tn?1361871586
My left breast always produced more milk and my second daughter stopped breastfeeding from my left breast at about 6-7 months. I asked my LC, she said it is quite normal for one breast to produce more milk and interestingly enough, many of my breastfeeding friends produce more milk on the left hand side. It took ages for me to pump from the right side too.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...