Breastfeeding Community
nipple confusion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

nipple confusion?

My daughter is about 7 weeks old. She is being breatfeed. When we go out I usually bottle formula feed. She sometimes has a problem with drinking from a bottle. Its almost like she can't latch on to the bottle nipple. And she spits the milk out. I just returned to work last week and my husband has been having issues with trying to feed the baby. I am thinking about giving up with breastfeeding. I do not have a pump to pump the milk and give it to her through a bottle. I could do that, but its a hastle with having to continuesly pump. I did do that with my second child and it was a hastle. I know its being selfish. Do you think this is nipple confusion? Is there any way I can help her with it? Thank you.
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but from my understanding she's not even wanting the bottle? So thus wouldn't it be more difficult to bottle feed then breastfeed? If this is the case I'd recommend breastfeeding when your at home, and maybe trying different types of bottles and finding which one she will take the best for your husband to give her while you're at work. And when your at work if your finding you're getting engorged, just hand express a bit now and then to prevent that.
The bottle you have might be too fast of a flow, or have a nipple shape that she doesn't like. I know when I first gave my daughter a bottle, even though it was supposed to be a super slow drip for newborns, it still dripped really fast so she got way to much all at once, once I switched to the Avent bottles she'd have to suck more in order to get anything so it worked alot better and helped prevent nipple confusion :)