Breastfeeding Community
nutritional value after 12 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

nutritional value after 12 months

i was always under the impression in the past there wasnt much nutritional value in b.m after 12 months.  addison is now almost 13 months and while her vitamins are mostly from her foods she is still at the breast.  how long is it something that she benefits from?  im in no hurry to wean her, and she has no intentions she is very much in love with her boob lol, but im curious.  she seems to be more and more dependant on the breast to fall asleep too, which i need to break.  i would love to help her learn to fall asleep on her own, but i dont know how to do it!  right now she is in her crib crying because she will not sleep unless she has a nipple in her mouth or a body to lay on and i cant take it anymore!!  well anymore today lol
My doctor told me that breast milk has complete nutrition for the baby until 12 months. After that it is important to supplement with WHOLE milk. Your daughter needs whole milk for the fat content as it will help her brain development. Also, if you are worried, try giving her infant vitamin drops- you can get them at the grocery store. On another note- I am so glad to see another mother nursing her baby past the 12 month mark! I nursed my son until he was 18 months old.... that is when he decided he was done :)
there is tremendous nutritional value to breast milk at any age. i think it's just that after 12 months, they do get nutrition from foods as well, so it doesn't have to be the primary source of nutrition anymore. if she is getting breast milk there really is no need for whole milk. plus, the immune benefits of breast milk are still there.

as for the sleeping thing... sorry i can't help you there :/
ya she isnt a whole milk fan.  maybe half an ounce at meals and that is pushing it.  i have to say the immunity she has built up is amazing, we have shared a cold around and around and she never gets anything.  

im much better now about the sleep issue.  i was fighting ants and was at the end of my rope.  
I just thought (but I may be wrong) that the 12 month thing was just because the breastmilk wouldn't hold them over at that age and they'd get hungry.  I am pretty sure my milk has a ton of fat in it - looking at how the cream settles at the top if I pump!  I think they just specify whole milk so people don't go out and buy skim since they do need some fat (...it is not because breastmilk doesn't have fat - it does).  
Also they need the vitamins A&D in the whole milk.  I am sure you have heard there is not much of it in breastmilk and there was a new study out which said we need even more vitamin D than thought previously.  Vitamin drops can solve that though.
Best of luck - let me know how you wean Addy - I am stuck on that one too!
My youngest barely ate solids until weaning at 18 mos and he was huge. No one will convince me my milk didn't provide well enough for him ;-)

Your milk will adapt and evolve to accommodate your individual child's needs. Quite an amazing thing. I suppose if your baby is nursing often, that is a cue to your body that there is likely not a lot of solid foods being ingested, so it beefs up the milk. On the opposite end, if you are nursing infrequently, it would be a sign to your body that it may not need to dump as much into it. Cool stuff, huh?

Interestingly enough, all of my boys gained weight at a steady rate UNTIL they weaned at which point they remained static and none of them gained weight for grew an inch for 9 MONTHS following. CJ is exactly where he was when he weaned, which was huge anyway.  
ya its pretty amazing how the body works.  addison must have a high metabolism because she is so petit and still eats and nurses so much!  i dont have intentions of weaning her anytime soon, but at the same time i look forward to not having one nipple pinched while the other is being nursed off of lol.