pain
I have tried breast feeding my first two babies and I made through a couple day but my nipples got really sore and started to crack and bleed so I had to stop does anyone know what it could of been and how to prevent it so I can try again?
That's pretty common, mine did that as well. The hospital gave me Madela ointment for the nipples, which is safe for baby. That helped me. The nipples are not use to such harsh treatment and are very sensitive.
Unfortunately that is pretty common. It happened to me with my second and I almost quit but I mustard through it and they healed and it was never a problem again. The reason it usually happens is because baby isn't latching on correctly. When you have your next baby have the lactation consultant come in and give you a few pointers. Applying lanolin to your nipples after nursing will help with the chapping. They also have these gel pads you can put in your bra that will ease the discomfort. Hope some of this helps.
Make sure the baby is getting lots of aureola, squeeze your aureola/nipple on both sides "like you'd hold a hamburger" (lactation consultants words haha) and get lots of the aureola in his/her mouth plus the nipple.. the first week or so is sore, but after the first week or so it passes. You can research ways to "toughen" your nipples while pregnant, and during the sore time you can use warm salty water, lanolin gel, soothie gels, also from lanolin, they work WONDERS! I definitely recommend them, and I've also heard expressing breastmilk by hand, rubbing it on your nipples and letting it air dry helps as well.. make sure there is time for your nipples to air dry, like leave it out for a few minutes after feeding. Good luck!
Soothie gels worked wonders for comfort for me after feeding. They felt great.  Lanolin helps a ton too.  It's just a matter of toughening up.