Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
Tingling, numbness in ring, pinky side of hands

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a progressive condition that occurs when the nerve, that runs from the forearm to the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist causing pain in the hand and wrist. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments for carpal tunnel.

I had carpal tunnel release surgery a couple years ago on my left hand(I am right handed). It got really bad very quickly. I just woke up one morning and my left thumb and first 2 fingers were numb and stayed that way for 5 months until my surgery. My surgeon said it was one of the worst ones he had seen.

Anyway, for the last few weeks I have been having a lot of tingling and some slight numbness in my left ring finger, pinky finger and that side of my hand. I have those symptoms in my left more often than the right, but I do get them in both. I also need to add that I have symptoms of carpal tunnel in my right hand too but not severe enough to take time off work and school to have the surgery. My GP had an x-ray of my upper spine before the nerve test I guess to test for any problems with my spine. There were no problems there, but I do have a lot of muscular pain in the neck. I have some minor pains in my left elbow from time to time but nothing I've ever worried about.

Could this be carpal tunnel again in the left(one I already had surgery on), or does this sound like something else? I plan on going to my GP to discuss this but I would like a little more education before I go.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, the nerve innervating (supplying) the thumb, the index finger and the middle fingers is the median nerve. This can get compressed in the wrist, leading to numbness of these areas leading to a condition called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Ulnar nerve supplies rest of the fingers. If this is compressed it can cause symptoms in the ring and little finger. Compression of the ulnar nerve usually occurs in the elbow. This can be confirmed by nerve conduction studies. So, you can discuss this with you doctor when you meet him. Good luck with your therapy. Regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, a return of symptoms after a period of relief is possible after carpal tunnel release.

Recurrent symptoms can be caused by scar formation around the median nerve. The nerve may also scar down to surrounding structures within the carpal tunnel. Portions of the transverse carpal tunnel ligament may re-form and cause pressure on the nerve. The synovial tissue which surrounds the tendons may thicken over time causing further squeezing of the nerve.

Return of symptoms, if significant, may be a reason to undergo a revision of the original carpal tunnel surgery. Depending on the cause, the outcome of revision surgery may not be as good as the original surgery. Please discuss this with your doctor when you meet him. Regards.
These symptoms aren't the same as the original carpal tunnel symptoms though. I am having tingling and numbness on the portion of my hand that I didn't before. My ring finger, pinky finger and that side of my hand. Can that happen with carpal tunnel? I thought that part of my hand is a different nerve?
Avatar_dr_f_tn