Chiari Malformation Community
Botox for esophageal spasm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Botox for esophageal spasm?

Hey everyone as many of you know I have alot of issue with swallowing and feeling like food and pills were getting stuck in my throat and substernally.  I had all test results reviewed by another doc since no one at the other place would give me any insite into what the problem was.  I got a call from the other doc yesterday after he had reviewed everything and said I was having esophageal spasms were at least part of my problem.  More than likely caused by pressure on the vagus nerve that comes from the brain stem.  So yes Chiari related!  Has anyone ever heard of having Botox injected in the esophagus?  Anyone have it done?  Results?  Anxious for whatever may work.
Hi...can't say that I ever heard of neone trying this...I did however try meds for  spasms in the digestive tract...at the time I had no idea of my chiari dx or what was causing the spasms...the meds never worked...

So please let us know if this works for u...I am very curious.

"selma"
He said it had risk associated because if it relaxed the muscles too much you could get aspiration.  I am just not decided if I want to take a risk that something can make me feel worse.  I guess everything we try has a risk associated with it.  I am thinking hold out for surgery and see what improvement I get from that first and then keep this an option if it doesnt help.  
I have not heard of this type of treatment for your gag reflex problems, I guess it is worth looking into. I dont like the sound of the "risk associated" though. Let us know if you do have this treatment. Many have problems with swallowing and reflux and will be interested in this. Thanks for sharing :)

Ray
Are you taking any medication for the swallowing issues? See if your PCP will prescribe prilosec for you. I have the same problems and, as long as I stay on my meds, it's much better. You also might need to see an Otolaryngologist.
Oh, and as a general rule, I'm opposed to Botox - you are aware that that stands for Botulinum toxin...as in Botulism?
When I had my endoscopy there was no mention of reflux.  The only medication that was talked about was Reglan and there are too many risk so my pcp wouldnt prescribe it.  I saw the NS today to go over all the test I have had done and he agreed with seeing if I get any improvement with swallowing from surgery and then keeping this as an option if not.  So I may not be the first to have it done but I think if things dont improve with surgery I will def be willing to try it.  I did look it up and is listed as a treatment. It may be something to to ask your doc about.  It was a otolaryngologist that advised me of this possible treatment.  Hopefully, surgery is gonna be soon.  
I had throat surgery - they removed my tonsils, adnoids, part of my pallet and scraped inside my throat.

It seems to have helped with my sleep apnea, but I still have to take priloces every day.
My tonsils and adnoids have been gone since I was 6 for frequent sore throats.  I have awaken a few times choking and gasping which is pretty scary.  I think as long as I sleep on my side I am ok with the sleep apnea.  I am hoping surgery improves this as well.  
My 2 year old son has dysphagia and aspirates liquids due to esophageal spasms that they attribute to his Chiari Malformation.  After a year of countless doctors appts. and continual swallowing therapy with no improvements, we are finally having decompression surgery in 3 weeks.  I can only pray that the swallowing is indeed related to Chiari and this fixes the problem.  Never heard of botox as a solution though.  Good luck!
Just wanted to say that this post shines more light on the other post you wrote. I didn't realize that you were speaking about a child and it does make a difference b/c with kids swallowing and aspiration is one of the main symptoms of Chiari and this particular symptom is much worse for kids than adults. A lot of parents have seen a great improvement with their child's swallowing ability post op. Good luck to you and your child, I pray the surgery is a success.

Carolyn
I also didnt know it was a child that you were referring too.  I pray the surgery is success as well.  I am so so sorry you and he are going thru this.  

Pam
Thank you for your support!
Hi I have been hanging out on the neuro site only to be told afetr 2 years of very intense testing that I have a lower esophageal problem. Apparently, this is not real common, most people have difficulity with the upper and lower spinchter, only my lower will not function properly. I have been going to Stanford recently and have been connected to one of the only well known esophageal motility experts in this part of the country. I have tried every drug known to possibly help with this problem with no luck at all. I am scheduled to have the botox injections on Dec. 2 and I just don't know if this the right approach or not. Unfortuneately, I have had 2 other procedures done due to being misdiagnosed along the journey, so, I am gun shy to say the least.Has anyone else out there had the botox injections? I have a tough decision to make and it needs to be made soon. I am scared!!! Thanks for listening.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum,

May I ask, do u also have chiari?...This thread pertains to those with chiari having this issue....

I would suggest u try a forum for GI issues for a LES motility issue...and I have heard of that as a  problem and know there are ways to help with it...such as avoid dairy later in the day as it can slow the LES even more than it already is for u....and this will disturb ur sleep and allow acids up into ur throat and mouth.

SO u should also elevate the head of ur bed, using blocks under the frame , pillows and wedges do not work.....

DO talk to a GI dr  and check out the forums here for that too, here is a link to one of many GI forums here on MedHelp...there r a few with experts on them to answer questions.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/GERD-Acid-Reflux/show/333?controller=forums&action=show&id=333&camp=msc

"selma"