Chiari I Follow-up
2 years ago I rushed my son to the ER as he was presenting with symptoms of a stroke.  For many years prior to this incident he had suffered with migraines.  An MRA with and without contrast was performed and through that scan a diagnosis of "the cerebellar tonsils are low lying, approx. 8mm below the foramen magnum, consistent with a Chiari I malformation.  Incidental note is made of a pineal region cyst measuring approximately 1.2 x 0.9 cm."  The discharge instructions from the ER instructed us to follow up with the neurologist in 2 weeks; however, when I called to schedule that appointment, I was told that no follow-up was necessary now or in the future unless symptoms occurred.  After reviewing information on the Internet, I have read that the Chiari I can worsen.  My biggest concern though, however, is that my son participates in contact sports (hockey) and also weight lifting.  Are these activities dangerous for someone with his diagnosis and is this something that should be followed up?  A report was sent to his PCP following his ER visit and this doctor never recommended any follow up either.

Hi Cms103 and welcome to the Chiari forum,

May I ask, how tall is he?....was he checked for any other issues? Low lying tonsils can be acquired so, did he have a trauma to the head or neck area? During a sport or MVA?

Not everyone with low lying tonsils has Chiari....Chiari is the malformation of the skull....and if that is not present it is possible that his contact sports is the reason for the low lying tonsils....UNLESS he has a CSF leak....and sometimes that can get missed as easily as a Chiari DX.

A CSF leak should be ruled out just as any related conditions.