Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari Malformation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari Malformation?

Ok, I'm convinced, after doing too much research (a little knowledge is dangerous), that I have CM.  My question is, can the symptoms come and go at the drop of a hat?  I'm thinking, yes, if the pool of fluid drains, the symptoms would subside.  Here's the rest of the story...  For several months now, I've felt like I was still moving when I was stationary (driving for example, stop at the light, still have the sensation of moving forward), but yesterday, my face (lips, chin, neck) was "impaired".  I could still feel me touching it, but it wasn't "normal" sensation.  There was an issue with my eyes... hard to explain, but again, just not normal.  My vision was a little off, light sensitive and a little pressure from behind, but no pain.   Had issues for most of yesterday, but all of a sudden, it was like something "popped" and the symptoms were gone.  Does this sound like CM and what type of doc should I go to get this diagnosed?
Hello and Welcome,

Some of this does sound like Chiari...my symptoms did cycle a lot in the early stages but it would be a slow thing...I would feel it coming on over several days then it would reach it's peak and then ease off a bit but it was always there a little. The feeling of moving while stationary is a classic sign of vertigo...which can be caused by Chiari but a lot of other things too.
What I am wondering is...do you get headaches? A lot of the symptoms you describe (facial numbness, light sensitivity, vision changes) can be caused by migraines too. I have a cousin who gets bad migraines and the side that she has it on, her face actually droops but when it subsides the feeling comes back.

My suggestion is that you take all this information to your Dr and ask to have an MRI done . This is the best way to see CM as well as MS ect....then MAKE SURE you get the report (and pics if you can) b/c some radiologists and Dr's will pass over the herniation..either they don't see it or they don't acknowledge it as being symptomatic.

Once you have the MRI, if it shows a herniation...you will want to send your scans to a good Neurosurgeon who is experienced with Chiari (you will see a list of specialists on the health pages).

Good luck..please let us know what you find!
Carolyn
Yes, I do have migraines, but yesterday, except for the strange, new symptoms, I was feeling fine.  I have never experienced any of those symptoms (from yesterday) while having a migraine.  Thanks for responding.
I also experience all of those symptoms and still (post-op) have numbness of my lips.  Unfortunately, if your problem is CM, you may also experience some of the other problems later.  I staggered, danced, stiffened, visual and speech problems.  That is why some people think we are drunk!  Do go to a NL or NS that is a chiari specialist.  Believe me the doctors not familiar with CM will be of no help if you have this. You may not have CM, but it sounds suspicious for it.
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Yes, chiari symptoms do cycle and is one reason it is hard to dx....

U asked about what kind of dr u should be seen by...until u get a dx, u will want to see a NL(neurologist)...once dx'd u need a true chiari specialist MS(neurosurgeon)......
we do have a list of them ......u still need to do ur homework and do research....
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/LIST-OF-CHIARI-SPECIALISTS/show/1293483

Also do not be discouraged if the NL does not feel chiari is the issue if indeed the MRI shows it...there r many that feel the findings r incidental.

Always as k for copies of MRI's and the reports.

"selma"