Chiari Malformation
Hi, I have a neck  herniated disc (C6-C7) and My cervical spine MRI said that "there is a low cerebellar tonsil" and "the craniocervical juction shows the cerebellar tonsil lying just at the foramen magnum".  Is this mean I have a Chiari Malformation? I always have a pain in lower back of my head and I always thought it is due to the herniated disc.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Not all low lying tonsils present an issue, but further testing is needed to see if ur herniated tonsils r creating an obstruction.......

Did u get copies of ur MRI and the report?...if not call the facility that did the study and request copies  of the CDs as well as copies of the report.This way u can get a second opinion  from a Dr well experienced with Chiari,.

It is possible depending on how bad ur disks r herniated that they can be the root of ur pain.

A  CINE MRI, thoracic and lumbar MRI can help find what all is going on and where u should put ur focus.

"selma"
Thank you so much for info.  I do have copy of the report and MRI film.  I also have a back herniated disc(L5-S1).  My concerns are symptoms I've been getting last 3 or 4 years. Symptoms are such as headaches, ringing in ear. nausea, extreme stiffness in trapezoid muscles, leg and arm weakness.  I was in a bad car accident which might have triggered the symptoms.  If i had arnold chiari, could my symptoms get worse over time?  I read about surgery to relieve the pain.  Is this fairly safe with good results?   Is the procedure easy or complex?  Are there multiple treatments, or is it pretty much only the one type of surgery.  I read that this is rare condition.  Do you know the names of physicians with much experience, especially in the surgery?  I might be getting a head of myself, but i'm concerned.  I have my neurologist appt in a few weeks for this.  Thanks!

A MVA can trigger a dormant chiari to be symptomatic....and many times, many of us have had symptoms but bcuz they cycle we just assumed they were a result of something else......and do not yet connect it to the chiari dx.

Chiari surgery is a major surgery, and is not a cure, can leave u worse off then b4 surgery...it is a last resort if benefits out weigh the risks.

Chiari is not rare, it was once believed to be as it was not found b4 the use of MRI's....but, what is rare r Drs that r well informed and experienced on chiari.

Once u have a DX, u should see a NS...and be sure they r a true chiari specialist...see our list and use it to research drs...this is not a referral....-http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

I had surgery in May of '09 I am glad that I did, but I still have some unresolved issues, I can not drive...and I know that chiari is life altering.......

"selma"