Epidural injection
I have recently been diagnosed with CM. I am scheduled tohave an epidural steroid injection for an injury in my neck about 3 inches lower than the CM. I have 2 degenerated dics and a bulging disc that presses on my spinal cord causing cervical canal stenosis. I am afraid to get the injection because no one seems to know enough about CM. My neurologist appt. is not supposed to be for a couple of months because they are too few neuros in my area. They aren't sure what is causing me to have headaches for 3 mos. that are getting worse. Any advice out there? Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

U r right to worry...if the techs giving the epidural do not know enuff about chiari, u may be best to avoid the injection as it can lead to a CSF leak and that will only make u feel worse.

There are a few Chiari specialists in TX, not sure how close u might be, u may have to travel..but it is well worth it to get to a dr well experienced with chiari.

Please see our members list of their drs...this list is not a referral,it is just a means to help u with ur research of drs.
The list can be found in the Health Pages located on the bottom right of this forum page.

When in doubt about a dr- get another opinion.

"selma"
Thanks for the quick answer, I think i wil postpone it until I can talk to another Dr. The closest specialist is in Dallas which is six hours away, but it may be worth it.  

Seeing a specialist no matter how far away is better then letting someone that does not have the knowledge or experience to touch u.....too many go for a quick fix, and there is none....chiari is life altering....so ne dr that gives u a promise of a fix...run the other way....

Do keep us posted on ur progress : )

"selma"
I have had the decompression surgery and I still am dealing with pain.  I did go in and have steroid injection's in the back of my head, but when it was suggested for the neck.  I said NO WAY.  I feel as Selma, having Chairi and some one not knowing about it could be very serious.  When I expressed this to the pain clinic they also agreed because there are not a lot of us Chairian out there that hospitals, clinic's understand the seriousness in this.  I hope you find your answer's, but I totally agree with Selma having injection's in the neck could cause more damage.  Sorry just my opion though.
WOW! For a year and half my Dr. has been trying to get me to do the epidural blocks. I was so weary of it jsut because I  know it can build scar tissue and of my age. I also thought of the Chiari, and something kept holding me back, and now I am super glad I didnt go 2 years ago when my pcp ordered it and havent let my pm dr convince me to try it. This is very helpful to me! Ty for asking this ? and ty for answering it so thoroughly.