Chiari Malformation Community
Hi. Recently DX with CM. Surgery date set.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hi all.  I hope to come back and give more details to possibly help future patients, but recently (within last few month) what started out as slight tingling on my thumb and index finger has progressed to my entire right hand being numb.  Fine motor skills are diminished.  I have to add that originally it was thought to be rotator cuff tendonitis and I didn't fully rest so I thought the increased symptoms were due to that.  After further testing & an MRI it was found that I have Chiari I malformation with a syrinx in my C-spine.  Surgery was the decision and currently scheduled for this month.  I'm surprised I am not displaying more symptoms before they made the surgery decision, but am grateful for the opportunity to possibly get my hand back.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

For those with a syrinx, surgery is usually  the choice as it indicates u have a CSF obstruction if left untreated can lead to perm nerve damage.

Make sure ur Drs test u for related conditions in addition to the syrinx, u will want to know if u have tethered cord, ICP, POTS., ehlers-danlos as these can affect how u feel and heal post op.
It is VERY important to rule these out.

And having a Dr that is well informed and experienced is also key.

Do post ur surgical date on our surgery date thread so we can post a prayer thread for u.
Thanks.   I'll discuss those with the doctor.   Also thanks for the input.   From reading people's stories,  I began to worry if surgery was the right decision.   Just didn't want to be jumping the gun.   I've seen Dr. Munoz's name appear in this forum before and I'm beyond impressed with his professionalism.  

Keep in mind Drs names in the forum is not a referral or endorsement....but shared for others to research.,...I am glad he feels right for u...as that is very important, as much as his experience with Chiari...both should be equal.

It is always best to get a few opinions and as u said not jump the gun, take ur time and make sure all related conditions are ruled out as they can affect how u feel and heal should u decide to go forward with surgery.
Well my surgery is tomorrow (thanks for all the feedback)  I have been busy researching and reading all that I could.  The numb feeling has actually in the past few days begun to "spread" from just my hand to my right foot and parts of my right side.  This has been one of my most recent confirmations that I am on the right path.  I hope to recap/log everything along the way in hopes that as this forum did with me, possibly give reassurance to someone else diagnosed with Chiari about what everything could entail.

Wow, tomorrow ...that was fast....I will post a prayer thread for u.....

I hope u use the journals here to post ur info, and experience, many of us had done this so others can read them and gain info and assurance.
Surgery went well.   Recovery coming along.   Monitoring icp for a couple days.  

WOW WOW I had to put a double wow that u posted already....glad u r doing well....

Keep us posted and we will continue to send prayers u way for a smooth recovery <3
I hope you are still doing well. I'll be saying a little prayer for you tonight. Seems like this all happened really fast for you. Your posts as you are going through this have been really helpful and encouraging. Safe and speedy recovery.