Chiari Malformation Community
Lump under incision with swelling...Boil or Ingrown Hair??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hey everyone!!  I am new.  I was dx in June 2013 and Dr oro done surgery Sept 24 2013.  It has been a blessing.  But now 5 months post op I have a lump, bump, knot, whatever under incision.  I went to er and they said soft tissue swelling. (I recently moved to Iowa and haven't found dr here yet.)  Now I did pull my left neck muscle the big one from chin to sternum like 1 or 2 months post op idk how just weak I guess.  And yeah I think I reinjured it again too bc its flared up and that when swelling started but.... I told the dr I have had boils and ingrown hairs forever like super bad.  I had been wearing my hat lots b4 lump started too.  She said she didnt feel a boil.  Well2 nights later the one on the bottom opens and drains the nasty boil stuff..... and there is one on the top part to also where I had a small pimple start b4.  Has anyone had one b4 when ur hair was growing back.  I know with my hat on it prolly didnt help either. I have not had headaches nausea vomitting nothing.  Just the swelling is annoying.  The bump is some sore but not bad bad.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Do u plan on going back to Dr O for a post op follow up?....some set them up at different intervals post op...up to one yrs post op.

It can be a hair but it could be a CSF leak that is slow so u do not have the typical nausea with it....not all will cause the nasty HA's and vomiting ...so it should be looked into especially if u have oozing....make sure it is not an infection....to be safe a PCP can RX u some topical antibiotic ointment to make sure it is clean and clear of infection.

Thank you!  I was at er other day and they did blood work etc to make sure no meegitis and she thought swelling from muscle but I just opened and it was drainage and definitely looked like what my boils did when they drained my husband even took pics to send to me regular dr.  I am hoping no leak.  It has completely released my pressure and instead of any swelling its actually almost back to the normal feel.  I will def get checked out again.  If I have to go to er for ct scan.  I am super paranoid!! I have 2 more pimples on my hair line on left side so I think its trying to cause my neck swelling :(
It just opened on its own I didnt force it.  When I put my head down to do one of my neck stretches it opened drained!  

I had some of that and the hair growing back will affect u with some pimples and bumps....itchy as well....

Sending prayers it is not a leak too <3

Yes I am scared bc I dont know much but hate to make my husband and 2 kids get out in snow to go to er.  I mean the drainage was nothing but puss but it makes me so nervous.  I will be seeing some dr tomorrow for sure.  The only symptom I really have is ringing in the ears but I have still had that off n on.
Yes very itchy!!!  It has itched like crazy!!

May I ask how often u wash ur hair as that can be part of how itchy it is and for the oozing, as ur skin dries after a washing it pulls the skin, and dries it out,. hence the itching....

I had oozing for I think 9 months post op....but all was fine with the healing and no leaks.....I have EDS so I am slower to heal.
I try to only wash 3 times a weeks on my hair bc it does dry out.  I was told to try rinsing it in vinegar to get the shampoo out completely.  It has drained thank goodness.  Now if the weather would just get done changing around I would be ok lol

Wow 3 times a week....lol...I know I did not have mine done that often....but I had my DH helping me as my hair was long and too much for me to do,...I know I should have cut it, but my Dr preferred me leave it as it was...and it was easier to hide my scar with it longer,.just more work..

Hmmm I never head of using vinegar, but was told to use baby shampoo to have something more gentle..... but just getting it wet and it drying can dry the skin as well so u will have pulling until the incision heals.

As for this weather, I have such a pressure HA right now waiting on this storm we r to be hit with, hopefully the last winter storm...then back to stable weather...sigh