Removing Tonsils - question
I have seen, but not heard too much about, removing the cerebellar tonsils. I am sure it is on here somewhere, but I have trouble concentrating on doing the searches.  I guess I wondering about updated information on it. Has anyone here had it done? Is this a common thing? Why do people have it done? Does it cure the Chiari (I thought there was no cure for it, though)? Is it dangerous to have this done? Do some doctors do it automatically when doing decompressions? Lastly, is this something that Dr. Rosner does when he does surgeries?

I am just curious about this stuff. I am kind of hoping he doesn't do it, because to me, I would be scared to have it done. Not something that sounds like it would be safe to have done to me. Thanks ahead of time and sorry for all the questions. :) :)

Hi from what I understand removing the tonsils was an older method, and is not done as often...and not by the chiari specialists that I have read up about.....

It was thought the tonsils served no purpose...but, in hindsight, it is believed they do in fact serve a purpose....dang if I can remember it all right now...but, I will look for the link to the other thread about this.,..it was awhile ago....

The reason it was done was to give room for the CSF to flow, but most do the laminectomys and do not remove the tonsil , instead they cauterize them so they retract.

I am not sure what Dr R's position is on this, not having him as my Dr, nor seeing him speak....

There is no cure for Chiari since it is the malformation of the skull....removing the tonsil is not a cure or resolve the issue/s.....U can have no herniation, but still have overcrowding as a result of chiari...so the tonsils  r not the issue...too many place importance on the tonsils when they r only one aspect of chiari.

I will look for the link for the older thread on this topic.....

"selma"
Thanks for the info on that. I do appreciate it. I am getting ready to post another subject on something that happened to me tonight. :)

saw it and posted a comment....happened to me all the time too  : P
hey, i just wanted to let you know that, although im not exactly sure how bug of a difference cauterization and removal have. but. Dr B explained my surgery to me in Dec and told me all about how he was going to cauterize my tonsills.. however after my surgery i was informed by my boyfriend, who went with me, that he removed the tonsills.. To this day i dont really knwo why he decided to do it that way..

Kara

Did u get ur OR report?..mayb u can find answers there?

"selma"
or report? i dont think so... whats it entail??
The OR report should detail all that they did during surgery....what they encountered, if it was unexpected and what they did to correct it.

All the procedures used will be listed.
I definately did NOT get that.... do you know  how i can??

U should be able to contact the NS and request it...many of the other NS seem to give them out with out the request....