Shoulder pain
Could having a chiari 1 malformation possibly cause shoulder pain?  My dr. at Univ. of Iowa doesn't think so.  He thinks my shoulder pain is due to arthritis in my neck and a doctor here in Bloomington, IL, feels my shoulder pain is caused from some bulging/herniated discs and arthritis in my neck.
My daughter has Chiari and Syringomelia at the tender age of 14.  She also has shoulder pain which keeps her from being on the computer, playing the piano, shopping, and lots of normal activities.

Her neurosurgeon said that if her muscles were weakened from Chiari, that could cause the pain, but also found her joints to be "floppy".  Then the orthopedic said that she had "floppy" joints as well, and that this causes her shoulder pain.  So, now after pt, she is not better.  Her thoracic syrinx could also be the cause...who knows!!

My thoughts are that while, yes, it *could* be from arthritis, it could also be from Chiari.  I think that if anti-inflammatory drugs help, then it is likely the arthritis.  But, if not, further evaluation from a shoulder specialist is needed.  

Just my .02$ worth!

Rebecca
Hi Beth and welcome back!!

I must agree with Rebecca that it is possible to be from the chiari.....it is also important to note that if u have cranial instability the shoulder area will tense up trying to stabilize the neck.

In addition, if u have EDS in addition that is hypermobile joints...and ur joint may pop in and out and that may cause the pain and inflamation in that area also....do u notice shoulder pain when lying on ur side to sleep?

Most of us tend to have issues with bulging disks and DDD so I guess it is possible that some of it could also be a form of arthritis.

May I ask is ur dr a chiari specialist?? Maybe u would want a second opinion if ur dr is not hearing ur concerns.

"selma"