UPMC Pittsburg, Pa?
I have been diagnosed with a Chiari Malformation. (26mm I know size does not matter) Already been told that i need surgery. I have a appt with UPMC at the end of the month. Has anyone else dealt with them and what are your thoughts. I have been dealing with an Ohio NS that has me scheduled 9months out. Due to not being able to wait that long I am looking for a second opinion. Life is on hold till we get this taken care of. Thanks xrunner
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am not familiar with the UPMC, but there is a chiari dr in Pittsburgh a Dr Bejjanni.....I believe his info is on our list of drs and I suggest u do some research as I did not have first hand experience with him.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/LIST-OF-CHIARI-SPECIALISTS/show/1293483

Many chiari drs have long waiting times, and I know it may be difficult, but do not go to a dr just bcuz they may get u in sooner...the one with the wait may be more experienced and the better option...ask to be placed on the cancellation list...

May I ask what symptoms u r dealing with?

We r always glad to have a new member join us, but we r never happy for th ereasons that bring them : )

"selma"
Hi, UPMC is a very good hospital!
Though I have not personally dealt with them, I am from the PA area and they are DEF one of the best hospitals you can go to! I think they are ranked in the top 10 for their neurology department!

You can search here for rankings and reviews:

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings

Good luck!
Keep in mind the hospital  rankings are important, u need to know the individual NS's experience with chiari too....just a good hospital does not a good chiari dr make : )
Dr. Paul Gardner at UPMC is who I am seeing. Beings that he is on the list of Doctors I was hoping I would get some kind of news on him. Good or Bad.  Although the hospital is also important. All reports on him have been good that I have read.
Well not all that add drs to the list remain active, so I can not say....but, u should be able to tell once u meet.All it means to be on our list is a member went to him and liked him...I ask that members wait until after they have surgery....so we know they r chiari drs....but, it may not be one that has  his primary focus on chiari...and it all depends on how u feel about the dr...the list is a starting place, not a referral.

I wish we had a way to give more info on the drs......

I am glad to hear the reports u have read r all good...please keep us posted on this dr.....as we need to know as much as we can.