Chiari Malformation Community
What happens 10 or 20 years post op???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

What happens 10 or 20 years post op???

I am scheduled for chiari surgery March 21st in Milwaukee with Dr. Dan Heffez.  I cant seem to find people that have had the surgery years ago and how they are doing.  From what I read online its mostly people that are a few months to a few years post op and they are either fine or not fine.  Im wondering if 20 years from now if I will just fall apart and I will have extreme pain, dizziness, etc...and then the surgeries start all over again.  Also has anyone had Dr. Heffez and how did it go?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is hard to say how we will do just  post op let alone a few yrs post op...I know a few have been on here that were 10 yrs post op and were fine for yrs and then they had an issue where symptoms cropped back up....it is possible for scar tissue to form and cause some of the same symptoms to reappear.....

May I ask what symptoms u have now?

"selma"
I am 20 yrs post-op this DEC 2012! I have sooo much to say and explain,that I can only post a YouTube video to get it all in. I will post it by Wed.,Sept.12,2012.But, I can say this much:I'll be  20 years post-op in Dec.And I feel great.I went through some rough years,but I have finally found a healthier  way of life that really works for me.
   I  went back to school full time. And this year I will be expanding my tax preparation business.These things are small accomplishments, but for someone who was debilitated by Chiari just one year ago, it is a pretty big deal.
    Anyway, I thought that it would be selfish of me to just move on with my life, and not post this info for those who might benefit from it.So,if anyone wants to hear more of my story, please email me privately.

your sister in the struggle,
Shataquga
gjjl, and The_beat_goes_on commented on gjjl's status
gjjl I have a leak and now am ha... Comment
Georgiag111 commented on photo
Feb 06