Chiari Malformation Community
brain stem is bent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

brain stem is bent

so im frustrated. cant find any info on this, so im posting here for my crew to help me find answers.
6 months post-op with continued pain and pressure on the right side of my head
constant ringing in my ears
unstable/gait issues
headaches
trembling left hand and unexplained muscle spasms
pins and needles in my left hand and foot
sleepless nights even while medicated
(i could go on)
.......................ruled out a CSF leak last week, but pointed out two possible issues
first, my brain stem is now bent as a result of the compression. (point facing back of neck) approx. 30 degrees (thats a rough guess)
could this be why i now have all of these symptoms? does it straighten out on its own? should i have concerns?
and second, i have an "abnormal" shape to my carotid artery in my head. . . . okkkkk.....so off for a CT Angio of my head and neck. Could this contribute to my instability feeling after i stand from sitting? Do i now have a whole new issue to be concerned with??
took me off Propranol, Diamox and another that escapes me at the moment - side note- my memory is TERRIBLE!!
input please!!

THANKS!!
jil
Sorry I can't be much help to your questions but just wanted to say wow and so sorry you are having all these problems. I hope you can find some answers and some relief
I don't know first hand but I would think either of those could cause significant problems.  I will do some research (if my computer decides to cooperate my phone is hard to nagavagte through medical sites ).  Good luck and sorry u are feeling this way
Hi...I have heard of there being a kink in the brain stem as a result of compression...not sure if it will straighten out  after decompression.....

I am sure the bent or kink in the brain stem is contributing to ur symptoms.....do u have a chiari specialist?

Have u been tested for autoimmune thyroid issues?....and had all ur vitamin and mineral levels checked?

"selma"

I had a bent brainstem, mine was bent at a 45 degree angle the first time seen and 53 degrees two weeks prior to surgery. I had many similar symptoms as you. Do you have an associated basilar impression or invagination? Because of the bent brain stem, and basilar invagination I had to have three other parts of my surgery than just the decompression. I was very iffy at first and thought of only doing the decompression and my doctor showed me research showing that 90% of patients with the basilar invagination who just had the decompression would have to have a second surgery, but that was only for basilar invagination, not just for a bent brains stem. That might be a good question to ask your doctor. If I can help with anything I will be happy to because when I was first told I could not find any information at all!
I have looked and can't seem to find much infact it corrects me and redirect to brain stem injuries.    Sorry.   I will keep looking though. Maybe something will pop up. But I would talk with ur doc for sure.