Aa
A
A
Close
4487186 tn?1362148262
surgery question?
at what point does someone with chiari become a "candidate for surgery"? and if all else fails is it possible to request surgery?(<-----i know, crazy but im just wondering really.) i have my appt with the NS on feb 4, and i want to make sure i have everything i need. so far i have my disk with the mri scans, my long list of symptoms and am working on a list of questions. anything i am forgetting?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
620923 tn?1452919248

Hi...first, surgery is not a fix or a cure....u can continue to feel as u do, or possible feel worse.

A surgical candidate is based on the Dr if he would do surgery on u and many use different  criteria to classify u a surgical candidate,and u do not want one that say u have Chiari and I will do surgery and it will fix u....RUN if u hear that....make sure the Dr is looking at CSF flow and how it is affecting ur overall health and ur symptoms....make sure they rule out ALL related conditions especially Ehlers-Danlos by doing the Beighton scoring test on u.....

If they say u r hypermobile but that doesn't mean nething RUN...bcuz it can and will affect how u feel and heal.

JMHO from all that I have seen over the yrs.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
4487186 tn?1362148262
thank you. what kind of related conditions should i be sure to be tested for? and what is the Beighton scoring test?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
620923 tn?1452919248

Beighton is for Ehlers-Danlos a connective tissue  disorder.

Syringomyelia, EDS, ICP, POTS, tethered cord, sleep apnea (if u r having sleep disturbances or snore in excess), disk issues, vitamin and mieral levels as well as thyroid.

If ne Dr says after surgery u will be cured...do not believe them....u also will still have Chiari, u just may no longer have the herniation to the extent u had prior....the main reason for surgery is to restore CSF flow, and slow progression...this means formation of a syrinx...if someone has a syrinx, they will most likely be considered a candidate as u do not want the syrinx to grow larger and possibly cause perm nerve damage.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank
selmaS commented on selmaS's status
Sep 17
Blank
620923 tn?1452919248