Chiari Malformation Community
wieght loss and chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

wieght loss and chiari

I need to lose weight but finding most things make me ill afterwards due to csf build up and pain in my joints and head any help would be grately apreciated
I don't have an answer,  but just wanted to add to your flustration.  I also was diagnoised with fibermyalgia (fibromyalgia) so they put me on Lyrica.  I gained 14 pounds in a month.  I know it is the medicaion, but what can we do.  I do go for a lot of walk's and I try to figure out how to loose this weight.  I finally come to realiaty and now I weigh my concern's.  Feel  better? or gain a little weight?  I'll take the weight right now,  because I am just focusing on feeling better.  The weight will come off in time  Just try walking a little every day.  A little is better than none. Enjoy your day with a small walk.  I know it is awful that whatever we do we duffer for it.  Even if it is a little walk.  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Weight gain with conditions like chiari is all too common, and difficulty losing is not far behind.
I do not know what u were using/taking to lose weight, but u should not use products on the market for weight loss as it is not good for chiarians.

It puts added pressure on areas where we already have pressure....

The med Topamax is said to help with weight loss....I am taking it, and had initial weight loss, but it leveled out...I was told to try to  up my dose but I had a reaction....so at the level I am on I doubt I can lose nemore....

I am hoping once I feel better I will be more active and lose the weight...it is just inevitable as we r sedentary.

As Linnie said, I'll take the weight and worry about feeling better...one step at a time...we will get there....

I am much smaller than last yr this time....so, it is possible.....

Eat healthy ....and walk when u can.

"selma"
I too am struggling with this and unfortunately, waiting to feel better is not an option for me since I have a lot more than a few pounds to use.  Honestly, I'm hoping that if I can lose some weight, maybe some of my symptoms will get better. Ex: Taking a walk may not give me headaches if it's not as hard on my feet & spine to carry this much weight around.

I'm attempting to hit it hard with my diet.  I'd be happy to share any details with you, but I am definitely not an expert and don't even know if it's going to work for me yet.  So far though, I will admit I have been feeling better (less tired especially!).  

As far as exercise goes, you have to find what works for you.  For me, I found that I can go swimming (backstroke and walking laps in a 4ft or less pool), and I can do low impact cardio (stair stepping at a low pace, biking).  My headaches can be triggered by an increase in blood pressure, so I don't go for very long...but I figure if I get a little in, maybe I can build up enough endurance to do more the next time, and more the time after that.  
OK, I think the forum is broke - I posted and it looks all messed up now!  Oops

Hi...what is the problem?...there are a few glitches since the updates this weekend and MH is working on them.

Let me know what u mean...can u capture a pic of the issue and send it to the email at the bottom- contact us?

"selma"
I need to loose a lot of weight to. But I'm always so tired!

Next week I hope to start posting the exercises from the Dr to see if neone here benefits....and to see how if affects others other than myself.....

I modified my diet long ago....and that has yet to yield results....I did lose some but not enuff to satisfy me....I always level off and feel stuck.....

Hopefully we get results with working out as a group???