Child not doing school work
I have a 15 old grandson who will not do his school work, he is failing all his classes, he is a smart kid, he was reading lables on cans at age four. his parents went though a divorce and his father (my son is raising him) his mother didn't want him. No matter what we do to him we just can't seem to get him motivated to do his school work, we have tried everything. Now he has told me that he can't keep his mind on his school work. that his mind wonders. As I said he isn't a dumb kid, a matter of fact when they give him the required yearly test he passes them, he was tested a year ago and we were told that he has the reading ability of a 12 grader. Hope I've given enough information, we are wits end trying to get him to do his work.
Is his goal (or yours) to have him to go college?  If it is,  the school wll probably be really ramping up on clamping down and doing the work and preparing for the next stage.  It sounds like he's a freshman in high school,  and sometimes the schools don't really stress college until 10th grade.

Do you have any way to check on line for teacher's assignments?  One of my sons really procrastinates,  and it's helpful to look online at what is coming due so I can stress that.  I know that's hand-holding,  and you shouldn't have to do it past about 3rd grade,  but some kids really need to be pushed hard.

Have you talked to his grade level counselor to get some ideas?  

Best wishes.