Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 6 year old son has behavior problems in 1st Grade

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

On numerous occassions since school has started, my son has been disruptive in class, uncontrollable, sometimes won't perform assignments, and other negative behavior.  We're dual working parents, so he's been in school for at least 5 years.  There's generally an adjustment period whereby he'll have a few problems the first couple of weeks of school, then get better once he adjusts.  But at his new school, this has not been the case.  It seems as though he'll have 1 incident every 2 weeks whereby the principal and/or teacher will have to call my wife or myself to report his behavior.  He seems to get very angry in school, but hasn't displayed this behavior consistently at home.  On occassion when he loses a basketball or football game, he will get very upset.  But while playing organized sports, he interacts well and doesn't seem to get upset.  His first report card was very good academically, but in behavior he received Ns for needing improvement.  

On several occassions during this school year, he has also lied on the teacher and other students to protect himself.  The teacher started a daily sticker program whereby his behavior would be evaluated and reported to us daily.  3-4 stickers is very good, and 1-2 stickers indicates he didn't listen or follow directions.  Anytime he receives less than 2 stickers, he gets very upset.  Especially on days, when the class draws from a treasure chest which requires 3 or more stickers for participation.  We're really concerned with his problems at school.  We're also fearful that he may be labeled as a trouble-maker in school
The sort of behavioral program the teacher is using is sound. The one adjustment I would make is to use the daily rating to determine your son's privileges (e.g., TV time, video games, outdoor play, etc.) at home on that particular day. Normal-spectrum child behavior problems respond well to such contingency systems. If the behavioral system is not effective, I'd guide you toward having him evaluated by a behavioral health or mental health clinician.
my seven yr old have simular problems.. the teacher also did the reward system and she was to bring home progress reports each day... well never the lesss i thought it would never get any better.. well this yr.. now that she is in second grade she has been a perfect angel.. i think she out grew it all and grew up...and realized that acting out isent the right thing to do.. hang in there it will get better trust me on this one.. my child had also was evulated for addah. but luckily didnt have it and also sees a counclier at school once a week

this might sound like a different story than which you are talking about, but I would like to share my comment.  My son has been discriminated at school to make a long story short, I have always accepted him to be problematic and to have behavioral problems.  After I found out what some teachers were doing to him, I felt very sorry for having always believed them.  I am not putting the entire educational system down, all I am saying is that we must remember that we humans are also animals and we have animal insticts.  Children have this wild instict a lot stronger than we adults (who have learned to tone it down) do.  I grew up in the country where I could run free and explore the world outside a two bedroom apartment with only plastic toys and tv and computer to play with.  I was very happy and full of life.

You must teach children to respect the rules they have to follow at school but you must also tell them that nothing is wrong with them for feeling how they do.  They need to release all the energy they have inside somehow and unfortunately the ways they find to do this are not always the most acceptable.  Once again all I am saying is that we should not always try to blame the child and their behaviour but rather blame the sterialized environment that this generation has created for them.  Go to the park and throw yourself on the ground with them and allow them to be children without consequences.  when you hear their laughter and see their joy you will remember my words.

Help them to follow the rules and explain how important they are, but always remember to tell them that they are normal and not crazy or that there is nothing wrong with them.

I hope not to have offended anyone but I have learned a very difficult lesson which I feel I must share...
I have an 8 year old who was an A student in the first grade.
He is now in the second grade and won't follow directions,doesn't complete his work assignments in the class room. I know he knows the work because he can do it at home.
I have asked his teacher to send home daily reports on him rather than weekly. I thought this might help but it has not.
He makes a's and B's on his test but his lack of completing his daily work in the classroom is bringing his grades down. I have tried explaining the importance of following the rules listening and paying atention in school. I have also tried taking away privledges. Nothing seems to be working. I know he is very smart, but I am at the end of my rope on knowing how to help him to understand that he can't just do what he want's at school.
Is there anyone out there that can help me.
A related discussion, behavior was started.
A related discussion, What do I do when I can't get my son help anywhere?! was started.