Child Behavior Expert Forum
Walking

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Walking

My daughter started walking at the age of nine months exclusively on her tip-toes.  Initially, we thought that was just a normal effect of walking early.  Now, she is thirteen months old and still walks on her tip-toes.  Is that a problem that we should/could address, or will it eventually work itself out?  Otherwise, her development is right on schedule.
Dear Jeff,

This is a common phenomenon, and will likely corect itself. It certainly is not a reason for alarm. Mention it to your pediatrician, who has the best handle (next to you and your wife) about the specifics of your daughter's development. And remember, she is at the early end of the continuum in learning to walk. If your pediatrician has any concerns, he/she can refer your daughter to a pediatric orthopedist, but it doesn't sound like that will be necessary.
i have a 15 month old boy that still walks on his toes intermentantly. my oldest son did the same and he out grew it...
my doctor seems to think they walk that way because they feel like it gives them better balance....don't worry...