Cholesterol Community
High cholesterol do not want to take medicines

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

I have very high cholesterol 317, and low vitamin d  I also have celiac disease but on a strict gluten free diet or 5 years. My total cholesterol/Hdl ratio is2.86. My Hdl/LDL ratio is .585 and my triglyceride /Hdl ratio is .748. my md wants me to take medication ; i do not want to take medication. Should I?
I was afraid to take cholesterol medications, also, so went on a very tight diet and got my cholesterol from an extremely dangerous level (above 300)  down to about 210, and thought that was healthy, but then then the heart attacks, stents, eventually a pacemaker and bypass surgery were necessary.  I consider my decision to avoid statin drugs the biggest mistake of my life.
Statins are very safe.  Take them for ninety days, you will have your blood tested after that period of time, checking for problems.  I'm betting you will see a huge difference in your cholesterol levels, and no issues with liver or other organ troubles.  
Keep us informed.
You really need medication, you just can't make enough life stle changes to get to where you need to be. Please read Flycaster's post closely, he knows by experience. His story is repeated much too often. I agree with everything he said, I could not have put it better.

Jon
Even when taking Statins You still must keep a proper diet!!

The following list can help in lowering cholesterol
Mushrooms, Dark Chocolate, (in moderation) Pomegranates, Eggs, Almonds, Garlic, Fish and Fish Oil, Blueberries, Apples, Avocados.

Avoid trans-fat. Stay away from items that list "partially hydrogenated oil" on the label, especially snack foods such as chips or cookies.
Use fresh garlic regularly in your meals. This traditional herb has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels.
Drink green tea daily. The antioxidant compounds in green tea help lower cholesterol and prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
Eat plenty of soluble fiber. Fiber has a powerful cholesterol-lowering effect. The best natural sources are beans and lentils, apples, citrus fruits, oats, barley, peas, carrots and freshly ground flaxseed.

Check the internet on the list I posted! Speak to your doctor!
Dried Apples May Reduce Cholesterol, Other Benefits

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/dried-apples-may-reduce-cholesterol-other-benefits
Diet might work. No meat, dairy and oil at all. Just fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains. No nuts or avocados or eggs either. Check out Dr. Esselstyns book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease"
Diet is indeed important.  I think egg subsitutes are a great product, I have them every morning, and also join my squirrels every morning that I feed with a handful of peanuts.  From what I've learned, avocados also is a very healthy choice, a healthy oil.  With a controlled diet as well as taking a statin drug, my LDL blood tests that are taken every 90 days show a level of under 80, and my balance of ldl/hdl is about 2.5/1, and my cardiac surgeon gave me a high five!  I do eat some meat, but lean beef or pork about once a week, and chicken a couple days a week. I live in a part of the country where fish is available, so have fish often, particularly salmon.   Olive oil is very healthy, you don't need the Extra Virgin Olive oil to get the heart benefits, in my opinion.   That said, when I tried to control my cholesterol with just diet, it simply didn't work.  My body produces a lot of harmful cholesterol, it took me quite some time to understand and accept it.  Statins in addition to diet have kept me walking on the sunny side of the earth.  I had eight stents and several heart attacks before I got the message and started taking statins.  
Keep us informed.
You really need medication and also you have to control your diet.
I think you need to check out two things - the paleo diet - markdailyapple.com is great or dietdoctor.com you also need to watch this video http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/doctors-who-say-everything-you-know-about-cholesterol-wrong?video=16023

It's a two or three part video.. it really opens your eyes. It's true and the food you eat has everything to do about your cholesterol levels and overall health.
You are so wrong about this - check out these videos - http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/doctors-who-say-everything-you-know-about-cholesterol-wrong?video=16023
I did watch it.
I do agree that what you eat has a lot to do with cholesterol levels, but also know from personal experience that control of cholesterol is much more complicated than the video suggests, in my opinion.  I would urge a balance of diet, lifestyle changes including exercise, and certainly statins given your high cholesterol levels would be important.