Cholesterol Community
synthroid and high cholesterol

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

synthroid and high cholesterol

I have been on synthroid for over 12 years for hypothryroidism.  My levels have been kept within normal limits with a few changes in dosage while I get older.  Recently, my cholesterol level was 291.  I am lean, run 3 miles per day and eat a low fat diet.  What in the world is going on with me and is this both genetic (my father) and /or a result of hypothydroidism and medication dosage?  What can I do?
Very greatly it has to do with both genetics and hypothyroid. I also have an elevated cholestrol count at 233. I chose not to go on meds and I am researching it to see if I can lower it along this diet and exercise.

If you run across anything - let me know - I will do the same.
thanks for your input Stella
I already diet and exercise and will determine my next step when I visit the doctor tomorrow
I'll be curious to see what they suggest besides lipitor which I have heard is ineffective
right now, I'm at a total loss!
I have been Hypo for years and just like you my dosage of Synthroid was increased as I aged. Last year my cholesterol was high, doctor gave me a diet to follow and I was told to come back in 3 months. I was already eating semi-healthy and exercising everyday. In 3 months cholesterol still high. Doctor put me on Niaspan/Niacin. It worked, my cholesterol is down.

But when doctor found nodule on thyroid in January, she told me my BP was high. She said deal with the nodule first and come back to me for BP. Goodness, wondering if BP and high cholesterol was due to the thyroid issues.
My total cholesterol was 548 2 months ago increased synthroid from 50 to 100 now cholesterol is 240 and we have increased synthroid to 125.No cholesterol pills just synthrois increase. Good Luck.My blood pressure is high as well. I have hypo with hashimoto's.
My total cholesterol was the highest at 278, but I started working out 4 times a week and went down to about 250. However, my doctor put me on Zocor. I am only 20 years old and I've been taking synthroid since I was a few weeks old. My ratio is still under 5 I have a doctor appointment this week to discuss Zocor because I am not comfortable taking it because I am not sure what will happen if I take it for the rest of my life. Any comments?
I have been on synthroid 100 since 2006 for hashimoto.  TSH has been in the range of 1.2 - 1.6 and T4 1.3 - 1.4.  BP ranges from 120-140/75-80 and occasionally I will take Diovan 80. My cholesterol prior to 2006 was 170/87 and now it's been between 240/151.  Today, 10/15 lab results came back with Cholesterol 269/176 and my cardiologist and Internists are freaking out - both called me "your cholesterol is very high you need to come in"  Of course I got scared because I do not want to take any medication. I have been dx also, for several years with MVP.  HeLP!!!!  I eat relatively healthy and use to excerise/yoga at least 3x per week but got out of routine for 6 months.  I have resumed exercise routine and will be paying more attention to diet.  Any suggestions?
www.*************************

i am in the same boat as all of you.  decided to research long term affects of Synthroid(T4) and found that it does increase BP and cholesterol if that is ALL that you are on - synthroid contains sodium which increases BP.

docs are not treating us with T4 PLUS T3 (Liothyronine), which is essential to your health and metabolism according to the National Library of Medicine which states "without this hormone, the body cannot function properly".   Talk to your doctors about adding T3 (Liothyronine) to your thyroid hormone replacement therapy.
I am so thankful for your comment. I have been doing a lot of research as I am now part of the Synthroid Club. I am 47 and was diagnosed a year ago. My last visit with my PCP was quite depressing; she told me to exercise more, change my diet, and lose weight (my total cholesterol was 203, my triglycerides when from 68 to 128, and had I gained 2 pounds). I mentioned to her that I was feeling down, kind of depressed, unmotivated, lacking  energy, and feeling tired, but she just did not put 2 and 2 together. When I told my friends, husband, and co-workers my doc's orders they all reacted the same: So you now can only eat lettuce and water? I am fit, exercise regularly, don't engage in any excesses (alcohol, tobacco or recreational drugs, junk food, sweets, or fast food) so my doctor's reaction and her lack of empathy really hit me hard. I have been worrying so much- which is not good as is it produces stress- and I am watching everything I eat. With all the information I have gathered from these comments I will make sure to educate my PCP in my next visit. :)
I am so thankful for your comment. I have been doing a lot of research as I am now part of the Synthroid Club. I am 47 and was diagnosed a year ago. My last visit with my PCP was quite depressing; she told me to exercise more, change my diet, and lose weight (my total cholesterol was 203, my triglycerides when from 68 to 128, and had I gained 2 pounds). I mentioned to her that I was feeling down, kind of depressed, unmotivated, lacking  energy, and feeling tired, but she just did not put 2 and 2 together. When I told my friends, husband, and co-workers my doc's orders they all reacted the same: So you now can only eat lettuce and water? I am fit, exercise regularly, don't engage in any excesses (alcohol, tobacco or recreational drugs, junk food, sweets, or fast food) so my doctor's reaction and her lack of empathy really hit me hard. I have been worrying so much- which is not good as is it produces stress- and I am watching everything I eat. With all the information I have gathered from these comments I will make sure to educate my PCP in my next visit. :) .