Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Is it possible to have fatty liver and cirrhosis at the same time ?

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

I was diagnosed with fatty liver on ultrasound some time back .. I want to know if it is possible to misdiagnose cirrhosis as fatty liver on an ultrasound ?

PS: My liver enzymes were elevated and they r back to normal now, however on ultrasound it still says fatty liver 2 ..... Could it be that it is cirrhosis ? Also on certain websites ... it says despite enzymes returning to normal, you cant rule out cirrhosis ...
NOTE: Your profile says you are 27 years old. It is very rare that a person your age will have cirrhosis of the liver. It usually takes many decades for liver cirrhosis to develop.

"I want to know if it is possible to misdiagnose cirrhosis as fatty liver on an ultrasound ? "
No. They are two completely different things.

First "Fatty Liver Disease" is a condition that damages the liver over time. It can be caused by a number of things, alcohol, being overweight and many other factors.
"Cirrhosis" is how much the liver is damaged. Cirrhosis is stage 4 liver disease the final stage of liver disease. It is a very serious condition if the cause of the Fatty Liver Disease is not stopped, it can cause the liver to fail and lead to the need for a liver transplant to prevent death.

If you have "complete cirrhosis" (cirrhosis with portal hypertension) the cirrhosis (how damaged your liver is) can be seen on an ultrasound along the fatty liver disease (what is causing your liver to be damaged..

Cirrhosis on an ultrasound can be seen as your liver will have regenerative nodules on it, be enlarged, your spleen will also be enlarged and portal hypertension can be seen. The only way to confirm a diagnosis of fatty liver disease is with a liver biopsy.

You should be seeing a liver specialist who will help you to manage your liver disease before is gets worse. Liver specialist can usually be found in the largest hospitals in the largest cities. Such as...

Kohinoor Hospital  Kirol Road, Off LBS Road, Kurla (West) Mumbai 400070
+91-22-6755 6721 / 6712
Email: ***@****
The department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of digestive diseases and disorders of the liver.

S. R. Liver & Gastro Clinic
KG- I / 415, Vikas Puri, New Delhi - 110018
011- 25507710, 25612118, 9810996640
***@****

You have serious liver disease and should act soon to prevent your liver from being damaged further.
Cirrhosis, liver cancer, and liver failure are serious conditions that can threaten your life. Once you have reached these stages of liver disease, your treatment options may be very limited.

That’s why it’s important to catch liver disease early, in the inflammation and fibrosis stages. If you are treated successfully at these stages, your liver may have a chance to heal itself and recover.

Liver enzymes show that your liver is being damaged by something. For example alcohol or hepatitis. The liver damage has already been done. Whether your enzymes are normal or high you still have a very damaged liver. You need to prevent further damage as you already have the last stage (stage 4) of liver disease.

Get a referral from your doctor to see a liver specialist soon.  

Here is a link to more information about Fatty Liver Disease
http://www.nlfindia.com/liverZone/diseases_f.asp

Good luck!
Hector
Your title which asks if it is possible to have both Fatty Liver Disease and cirrhosis at the same time is YES.
As I said above Fatty Liver Disease can cause cirrhosis.

"Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is one of the most common causes of chronic liver disease. It encompasses a spectrum of conditions associated with lipid deposition in hepatocytes. It ranges from steatosis (simple fatty liver), to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH—fatty changes with inflammation and hepatocellular injury or fibrosis), to advanced fibrosis and cirrhosis . Studies suggest that although simple fatty liver is a benign condition, NASH can progress to fibrosis and lead to end-stage liver disease. The disease is mostly silent and is often discovered through incidentally elevated liver enzyme levels. It is strongly associated with obesity and insulin resistance and is currently considered by many as the hepatic component of the metabolic syndrome. NASH cirrhosis is now one of the leading indications for liver transplantation in the United States.

Because NAFLD resembles alcoholic liver disease but occurs in people who drink little or no alcohol, excessive daily alcohol consumption must be ruled out before making the diagnosis. Numerous other conditions leading to fatty liver must be excluded by history, physical examination, and appropriate testing."

Hector
Thanks much Hector, have been making changes to my life style as it is ; exercising, staying away from fried foods, avoiding alcohol and so on :) ...

Somehow, the doctors at my hospital are not very worried.. I will heed to your advice and check for second opinions too ....

Again, thanks very much for you reply and your contributions to the community overall ....

I am glad you are being proactive and living a more healthy lifestyle. That is good for all of us. :-)

I think a second opinion is always worth doing especially with a condition that could be serious. You want to assure yourself that nothing serious is going on.

Staying away from alcohol is good for both those people whom have developed Fatty Liver from alcohol and who have Fatty Liver for other reasons.

I am glad that you found my post helpful.

Be well!
Hector
Yes, my husband is diagnosed with both.
Advocate1955