Iodine
Okay here we go....to Iodine or not to Iodine....lol!  Seriously though......lets discuss Iodine in its glory:
What type is best: potassium iodine only
Where can you find it? This can be a tough one.....
How to test for deficiency... scratch skin test and or hair analysis is best
What are the many many health benefits of Iodine? MANY!
There are soooo many benefits to Iodine.....did you know that if you take Lugols at the first sign of infection it can help to destroy viruses, bacteria, etc.?  How about at the first signs of food poisoning to neutralize toxins?
Lets roll on this one with everyone joining in.

I just wanted to be poster 100 - so I bump this back up   LOL   LOL   LOL

Congrats Laura on gett'n the BIG  1  - 0 -  0 on a thread.

This is a huge topic to talk about and the list will grow. ......

BTW - Iodine = anti viral protection.

anti - viral protection = less chance for flu???

food  ( or iodine :)  for thought here. .....

BTW - Iodine = anti viral protection.

So on Monday I will be talking to my endo again and will begin to bargain with him.  I do fear that once I go off iodine I will dive back into the world of hypothyroidism as my FT4 is at the top of the range and my FT3 is at the bottom of the range which means I have a conversion issue from T4 to T3.  I will start treating my liver with tender loving care and feeding it all the good liver food to make if as healthy as possible but I fear this will not be enough to help conversion.  As I am still within "range" on my blood tests I think I will need to bargain with him as I would imagine he would not be willing to give me T3 under other circumstances (maybe I am wrong).  Anyway, the question is how much does he want me to come off of iodine so he can monitor me?  Yes, I know it is a form of blackmail but...

Cindy
PS I have been told by several people that I must be feeling terrible with my current blood results but I am not, the iodine is supporting me very well and making me feel normal.
WARNING!!

I can see that some people here have had very good experiences with iodine and that is great. However I was one of the rare ones and my experince was TERRIBLE and I want people to know there are risks!!

My story: I went to a new doc/NP who practices homeopathic medicine. My ONLY complaint was that I was tired and feeling more run down than usual (I also work night shift at a hospital and don't get regular sleep and went through premature menopause and was not on any hormones). He did blood work for hormones and thyroid.

TSH was 3.9 and free T3 was 2.3, T4 normal. He told me I was hypothyroid and I was given Lugol's iodine 2 drops/day and 30 mg Armour. I asked him why and he said might be Hashimoto's but did not test me for that, just said it was common. Asked about side effects, told "none" and that it was safe and effective and that "the thryroid loves iodine." He even told me stories of how safe it is to take, never once mentioned that it might be dangerous at all if I did have Hashimoto's. He did not test me to see if I was iodine deficient.

5-7 days after taking iodine and Armour I started getting a lump in my throat. It was very uncomfortable and I called the NP. I was told to stop the ARMOUR, that I might be having an allergic reaction and to KEEP taking the IODINE. Good thing I am not stupid and started doing research on this. I found out (easily) that it is dangerous to give someone with Hashimoto's iodine as it can induce a terrible autoimmune attack and cause goiter.

I was furious that I was not told these possible side effects, I NEVER would have taken iodine if I was properly informed about the risks. I went back and demanded to be tested. TSH was up to 6.2 and positive antibodies for Hashimoto's. My ultrasound showed diffuse goiter associated with Hashimoto's. I stopped the Armour due to possible reactions and started on Naturethroid. Felt worse. Fired the NP.  Went to see an endocrinologist.

For the last 3 months I have gone through severe muscle aches, joint pain in my knees, swollen lymph nodes, extreme weakness and fatigue so that I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days on several occasions, burning, tingling and numbing feelings all over my body, ear pressure/pain, dry eyes, the list goes on and on. Basically every part of my body was effected and I felt like He//. I could not believe this was the same body I was living in several weeks prior. I was not able to work and could not take care of my family. The goiter was getting bigger and terribly uncomfortable and I switched to Synthroid.

Now I am feeling a little better with energy but not great and still having a lot of other symptoms and I am being tested for other autoimmune diseases, which I feel the iodine triggered the Hashimoto's and now it's triggering something else. To put it mildly, this has been the worst experience of my life and like I said, I never had any of these symptoms until I took the iodine.

Before this happened I was exercising 5-6 days a week, weights and cardio, had lost 80 pounds and was starting my new personal trainer business. Now I can barely lift 1/2 the weight I used to and do not have the energy/stamina at all.

I am scheduled for a thyroidectomy in two weeks because the goiter will not shrink and it's compressing my airway/blood vessels and flares up and makes me feel like I am going to pass out and I cannot work/live like this. I have tried other supplements which have had no effect.

So basically iodine = thyroidectomy for me.

Please, please, please be careful if you have autoimmune thyroid problems when considering taking iodine. This is NOT safe for everyone and is not a "cure-all" for hypothyroid.

Sandra
Sandra-
Thank you for sharing your story....wow....you poor thing. I cannot believe that this dr started you out on both armour and iodine with being just slightly hypo. He should have started you on armour only, and definately tested for Hashi's. Shame on him.

I am a hashi patient too, and that is why I have held off on trying iodine until my thyroid is completely burned out. I am afraid of autoimmune reaction further....bad enough that I have suffered every symptom you mentioned above from the hashi anitbodies attacking my thyroid. I also develop nodules and have goitered before....but mine goes down. It is treatable with steriod packs when inflammation is real bad, according to my endo.

Keep us updated on how you do.
I've had hypo thyroid for 2 years now, started on armour, then synthroid, last sept. I think synthroid is an evil drug and have been doing everything I can to get off of it. As I said I started on 100mcg in sept and gradually had manic depressive type symptoms then I heard about kelp and tried it until april and stopped when i heard that most kelp has arsenic.
For the last 4 weeks or so I have been taking potassium Iodide, and feel very good am down to 12.5 mcg of synthroid and with any luck will get completely off it next month. I am trying Iodoral in a couple of weeks and will report how that goes.
Other things I am doing lots of vitamins including d, mag, etc.
Also I heard that they used fluoride to cure HYPERthydroid in the '30's so I quit fluoride last december.
Flouride is lighter than iodine so blocks iodine absorbtion.
Also I heard if you take large doses of Iodoral you should also take 200-400 mcg  Selenomethionine which is absorbed more easily than regular yeast based selenium.
I  have been taking 200 mcg of this as well.
elcyd, just want to thank you for your info, a couple of questions: have you heard about the Selenomethionine being better to take than standard selenium?
Are you still using fluoride?
I would really appreciate your thoughts on iodine therapy for a hot/toxic thyroid nodule with hyperthyroid symptoms. Might iodine shrink the large nodule? Any advice would be great.
Hi, very interested in your posts.  I've been painting the iodine patch on my stomach for a couple of weeks now.  I had been having palpitations and read it could be hypothyroid type symptoms.  Also taking an iron supplement (organic) with vit C in case the palpitations/ missed beats are anaemia.  the iodine disappears in less than 12 hours even now a few weeks later.  I tried taking kelp tablets a year or so ago and I get so anxious with them, one night I thought I was going to have a stroke or something, read my Merck Manual the next day and it sounded like iodine overdose, causing thyroid storm. so avoid kelp, no such symptoms with the painted iodine though.  I'm currently training to be a naturopath so its a bit of physician heal thyself!  :-)  the palpitations are the main reason i'm on this forum, still getting them, think its a mixture of to much sugar, hormones (am 43) and stress.  interested in any comments.  Am going to get it checked by a doc but think she will say all normal.  
You are right synthyroid is evil!  Yes, I have heard that Selenomethionine is better absorbed than regular Selenium although I am not using it at present.  I try to steer away from anything that is flouride, chloride or bromide and anything which is goitrogen too.  Even the smallest things like for instance, green tea - unfortunately it has twice the amount of flouride than regular black tea.  I know it is not a great quantity but I do not want my goiter back again. :-)

Cindy
I would suggest you visit the iodine forum on Google Health.  It is run by Stephanie Buist who has alot more knowledge than I do when it comes to iodine therapy.    She has helped me alot in my quest to get rid of my goiter and nodule.
Sounds like you need to look at your adrenals.  Support your adrenals with magnesium, Celtic Salt, Vit C especially if you are taking iodine. The iodine that I have taken is either Lugol's 5% or Iodoral, they seem to work the best.  Is it just palps you are trying to fix or do you have a thyroid issue?.  Adrenal fatigue and dysfunctional thyroids usually come hand in hand.

Cindy
I have similar symptoms as you do... heart palps which started after my partial thyroidectomy. I am currentlly on synthyroid ( low dose) and atenolol for my heart palps which turned into PSVT.  Atenolol controls the heart rate ( which was very high) but the side effects are not fun.. so I am searching for a better "cure". I also have a " goiter/nodules" in remaining thyroid lobe.
I had the 24 hour iodine excretion test and it showed I was slightly low in iodine. It was recommended I take 25 mg. of Ioderal/ daily.. but I am still nervous about trying it. Keep me posted on your progress.
thanks for the comments :-)  I do take magnesium and vit c is an all time fav. Always use celtic or himalyan salt, prob too much actually.  I do love salt so I try and up my potassium to balance it a bit.  The papitations started a week before christmas when I ate a huge amount of chocolate fudge one day (great naturopath i'm going to make!) and over the next 5 days my heart leapt and bounced till it wore off. Was also pre-menstrual. the following month I had a glass of liquer and (premenstrual again) it started all over again.  Now there is no pattern really but reading this site has made me feel less worried about it.  Take a tablet called B-stress free with B vitamins and herbs which is designed for adrenal support.  Used to have panic attacks but have managed to work on those with breathing exercises and no caffeine etc. Have some lugols but due to reaction to kelp am nervous of taking it.  its 250mcg per drop (from iodine and potassium iodide). bottle says one drop daily.    don't have any real weight issues, have put on 3 kilos in last 6 months solely due to wrong food choices, don't blame the thyroid.  Reason I went for iodine was short cycles with menstruation say 25 days and feeling a bit of brain fog when studying.  Am not on any medication at all, never really have been.  Its surprising reading how many people are on multiple medications on this site, makes me wonder about the side effects...  its a great site though  :-)
beakbeak,
I am not sure what age you are... I am very  ...... ugh.... 49,,,,- so peri/menopausal age. My belief is if we are not balanced hormonally... thyroid, estrogen, even immune system we run into problems with our health. And then there is heredity,environment... nothing we can do about that. My mother had thyroid problems all her life, terrible menopause too. I feel sorry for her, but really hope things will be better for my daughters when they reach this yucky age. We are rapidly making so much progress in holistic medicine, the future is so promising.
And then if you research iodine a lot of sites say it was used for many different cures in the past... so perhaps we are also going back to the past medicine used by our ancestors.
Hi, I agree, maybe they knew what they were doing in the old days even before randomised controlled trials came about.  I'll be 43 next month so the menopause thing is on my mind, I know the better health i can be in then the better it will be. On the positive side though I still have a lovely youthful complexion .......... pimples  :-)    I envy people who don't have a sweet tooth.  I hope you're feeling better than your name implies.  Might google iodine cures and see what I find.  
I am 57and female, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 3 years ago (TSH 9.1 and T4 was .52) and medical dr. put me on synthroid 75 mcg per day. I don't believe I had another blood test to verify any change in tsh after that. After reading about Ioderal, I started at 12.5 g in November and gradually increased to 50 mg per day over four months. In May, I discontinued taking synthroid gradually. Blood test last week indicates TSH of 25.77, T3 - 28m and T4 of .46, all of which are way out of whack. My medical dr. called me at home at 8 pm to encourage me to get back on the synthroid.

So I started back on it. So, why didn't the Ioderal make any difference for me? I still don't know why I'm hypothyroid, as I've had no goiter, growth, surgery, radiation treatment, etc. My mother had a noncancerous growth on her thyroid, had it removed, and has been on minimum dosage of synthroid for about 15 years. I have a sister who has MS. Am I hypothyroid due to autoimmune disease of some kind?  
Other question is - would it be better to take armour, since it also has T3?
Hi there and welcome!!!  
People develop hypothyroidism for different reasons. Some have Iodine deficiency and another One of them is Autoimmune. You need to get your doctor to test for Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroid disease. You should have both the Thyroglobulin antibody test and the Thyroid Peroxidase test.
I can't give an opinion to you on the T3 yet until your levels come down properly and I see where your free t4 and free t3 levels are at. You may convert just fine and not need T3 or you may need it. Time will tell. You can always add Cytomel (T3) to your synthroid as I do. I was on Armour for a while but my body would not absorb it properly. With all the problems going on with Armour right now, I would suggest not trying it. Naturethroid is good.
IF you have Hashimoto's, then this brings a whole new range of normals into play as well. Normal doesn't mean normal for autoimmune....lol. There are different optimal ranges for autoimmune patients according to my endo.
You should be tested with 6-8 weeks of starting back on your synthroid. Let me know when you get your results.
Laura, what's going on with Armour?  Just curious.

The main benefit to being on animal hormones as opposed to synthroid is that eventually, if you stay on synthroid long enough, there's a good chance your thyroid will never be able to work on its own again.  That's why trying iodine in the form of kelp or bladderwrack or both, or some other natural form, is worth a try, just to try and preserve the thyroid.  If it doesn't work, though, you're kinda stuck.
Hi Pax-  Armour reformulated and a lot of patients are having a hard time absorbing it properly. Believe it or not, Armour....Synthroid....all of them will make your thyroid lazy after a while. But for those of us with Autoimmune thyroid disease it doesn't make a difference as our thyroid is dying off as the antibodies destroy it.
Iodine will supposedly make Hashi's a whole lot worse if you are still in destruction mode. That is why i am scared of it.
For people with hypothyroidism not due to Hashi's I highly suggest giving it a shot! I wish I could.
A good alternative to Armour would be Nature-Throid. All of the natural thyroid meds are Pig derived now. West-throid is phasing out from what i understand.
I tried armour without success as my body would not absorb it or utilize it properly. I am now on Synthroid and Cytomel.
one of the posters mentioned injesting two tablespoons of iodised salt per day, remember salt in very high doses can be toxic. as most things can idk that just sounds high to me..I am gonna try the skin test as I got Hashis too and am not completley satisfied w the synthroid I been taking 4 ever . lmcg just sick of so many meds, if I could d/c that Id be thrilled.
I can share some information on the desiccated thyroid hormone. Right now I am off the boards some - You can PM me and I can try to help make people aware of this situation.
Hi everyone!!
I hope I don’t make any mistakes because English is not my native language!!
Yesterday night I read all the information about iodine and I feel overwhelm, … for 7 years I have been sick with hashimoto, I 've been on 137 mcg of synthroid for 3 years and now doctors found me 3 nodules, the biggest is 1 cm and because, I have experienced so many symptoms, I have been doing anything you can imagine: Since taking Omega-3, 10 grm. daily (it worked very good with my depression!!!), to taking adaptogens, ( sargassum) and it started to work because in 3 months of taking the sargassum, the nodule became 3 mm smaller, so now the length is 97 mm, BUT here is were I want to stop, because I read in the FDA reports that it has arsenic!! So I panic and that’s why I found you guys…
I want to ask:
• Does anyone knows about sargassum, is it safer than iodine??
• Should I try iodine??
• And the 65000000000 question… Where o how can I found a doctor OPEN mind!! Who wants to run other kind of tests?? At this moment, I don’t have an Endo,
I really appreciate this blog and all the knowledge you have been typing in here!!!
I”ll be waiting for your response.
Simona
A lot of people here have done the Iodine on their own. Yes most Drs are not open minded enough to try Iodine.
Sorry I haven't heard about sargassum. I would suggest researching it further, and knowing the source of where yours comes from. Please share any knowledge you learn about this. Just start another new thread. You say it is an adaptogen? What type?
I personally have run tests on my own. Including a hair analysis a couple of times, which showed my mineral levels.
My husband and I have been taking iodine supplements for about 4 months. It's amazing. He has diabetes, I have fibromyalgia.  We've both notices so much change in how we feel.  Highly recommend it.
HI concerned,
Please share with us how you started iodine, why, and what type and dose you take now?? Also how has it made YOU and your hubby feel better.
We would all love to hear some good positive feedback.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!
Sargassum is more commonly known by its Japanese name, hijiki or hiziki.   It's not an adaptogen, it's a seaweed, and is used to reduce certain nodules such as goiter.  It's more often used as a food because of its high concentration of nutrients, particularly minerals.  The arsenic problem is probably because most sargassum is harvested off the coast of Japan, probably the Sea of Japan, which is highly polluted.  Seaweed soaks up the minerals that are in the ocean, which is what makes it so nutritious, but if it is grown in a highly polluted area, you can get problems if you eat a lot of it.  One way to decrease the arsenic level is to soak it for a good long time and then cook it.  According to an article I googled, that dissipated 50% of the arsenic levels.  Since you're only using it for a short time as a treatment you're probably okay, but long term use could potentially be a problem.  On the other hand, Japanese eat a lot of this seaweed and they live the longest in the world and are the healthiest in the world, so who knows?  As for iodine, you're already taking it -- that's the main reason the hijiki is used for what you're using it for, it's high iodine content.  
Hi!  Yes can you tall us what kind you are taking and the protocol you followed when starting?
I have Hashimoto's and still contemplating taking it. But as I near complete destruction of my thyroid, I am more seriously thinking about doing this. A friend of mine who is a Dr, attended an educational seminar this week, and he ended up in a class taught by a Dr from Texas. This Dr uses Iodine with many patients, including ones with Hashimoto's. So needless to say I got a wealth of information, and now even more interested in people's success stories! :)
Hi Laura,
Can you give me any info on the conference and the Dr in Texas ( I live there). If you have to PM it would be okay...
I would love to know where he/she is located and research them too.Thanks for any help.
Happy Holidays!
I AM SO SORRY for not replying sooner!!!!!!! I was busy reading all the marvelous replies on here I didn't see the question for me.  I did see the article/protocol posted on here of the 320 lb woman admitted to the ER, that is the information I read that helped me make some decisions about iodine and enzymes for my husband and his diabetes.

So the brand we take: Iodoral High Potency Iodine Potassium Iodide Supplement, $55.00 for a six month supply.

My husband was diagnosed with diabetes February 19, 2009.  He was so sick with restless leg, couldn't sleep for months, his stomach ached all the time.  He takes Metformin for his diabetes. The pharmacist told me Metformin blocks sugars in food and basically the foods he eats sits in his stomach and rots.  I was so upset I started not sleeping and feeling so unwell.  
I got to Sunshine Corners Health Food Store in Kent Washington, an excellent source and family owned. I started describing the symptoms my husband was having.  The first thing they said was "Iodine" I was so confused. I had never heard of this supplement. The owner started explaining how it was taken out of salt and foods back in the 40's and 50's because they thought it was causing cancer.  Then there was such a rise in breast cancer and other cancers.  In addition it helps regulate blood sugars so can aid in controlling weight, energy.  So I thought we'd give it a try.  With in 2 weeks my husband was sleeping.  His mood changed. He was more energetic.  His restless leg had stopped completely.  My husband prior to to diabetes NEVER took a prescription medication or a supplement. He never misses his Iodine, VitD2000, or Essential Enzyme. He is a different person.  He went to his doctor and his A1C dropped to 6%, and his blood sugar which was running 170+ was now 130.  His doctor was in shock.  
Here is what he takes:
Vitamine D 2000 Natures Life Natural Cholecalciferol Bone Health
Iodine Iododoral
Essential Enzyme Source Naturals Digestive Aid 500 mg.
Metformin
I have FM and have had chronic pain for 15 years, 7 surgeries on my spine.
I take the Vitamin D 2000, Iodine, Essential Enzyme, Astragulas the minute I start to feel sick, and/or Grapefruit Seed Extract to boost my immune system.  I have lost 21 pounds in the last 6 months. Something I have been unable to do in over 12 years. I started a light exercise routine in the pool at the local gym. I was able to do that after taking the Iodine. I felt more natural energy.  
I hope this helps.  We are all so different but we take so many prescriptions I am a huge advocate of looking at natural supplements. I don't believe in taking handfuls of supplements, I never did.  But I believe in finding the right mix for your needs can be so beneficial. I am determined to make my husband well.  He was never over weight, never  sick in any way. This diagnosis was so hard on him.  I promised him we'd reverse it and there are studies saying it can be done.  We always listen to the doctors but ALWAYS research what else is out there.  Be open minded to other ways.  
I love this forum!!!!! Take care everyone.   Annette

Thank you for sharing your wonderfully,inspirational story.
Please tell me how you started the iodine and what dose?? Did you add it in slowly and titrate upward in dose?? And what dose do you take now?? How long til you significant difference?? I see you mentioned about 2 weeks your husband noticed a difference, Yes??
Any side effects you do not like??
Thanks again so much for all this valuable information. And I guess I missed the post on the 320 lb lady... where was that info.??
Good luck and god bless.
K.
We started with just one pill a day and that is what we are still taking of the iodine. The owner of Sunshine Corners said he is experimenting with a higher dose for weight lose. He takes 2 per day.  
My husband really noticed a significant difference quickly. I saw changes in his mood in about 7 days.  He had been depressed and not sleeping for about 2 months.  That seem to change after about 1.5 weeks.  Then the restless leg which was so out of control it kept me up all night most of our 21 year marriage stopped after 2 weeks taking the iodine.  
I have not noticed any side effects.

elcyd posted:  April 4, 2009 - several posts above this post is the study I had read that convinced me about diabetes and iodine.  I went and purchased the iodine after a few weeks of research, I had read what elcyd (Medhelp) member posted above. Read it, it's very helpful.
Take care, and bless you.
I'm new to this group but not new to iodine therapy.  I've supplemented on and off with iodine, and wondering how everyone is doing with their iodine therapy.  Are there any updates?

Hi there.....just wondering if you could give us an update on how you are doing with your iodine supplementation.  :)
Could you also give us an update on your Iodine journey??  :)  
This has got to be the most interesting thread on iodine I've ever read on medhelp. Read the whole thing, took an hour! To bad I have Hashimoto - chicken to try iodine.

I did have a topical iodine 'paint on' test above the hip 1 1/2 years ago. I dont know what kind of iodine it was. It was the brown stuff, reminded me of what they used on wounds as a kid in the 70's. My skin sucked it up in 8 hours. I was on synthyroid for 9 years at the time.

It would be interseting to repeat that iodine 'paint on' , 'patch' whatever you call it test again , after being on dessicated thyroid for 10 months.
I have never done the skin patch test, but will soon. My antibody count is finally coming down....and I feel I am almost at full replacement dosage. I am now at 125mcg synthroid and 20 mcg Cytomel. I am finally not having the Hashi reactions as of late, and thyroid not swelling as much. Yeah!!!!!
When I am sure it is over, THEN I am going to try the Iodine protocols. It has soooo many benefits, and is awsome to use against pathogens of sorts.  :)
How are you doing with your thyroid Moose?
"How are you doing with your thyroid Moose?"

Was great till mid December when my TCL dessicated (an Armour generic) ran out forever. I switched to NT and having issues adjusting. I just posted some really wierd labs on the thyroid forum. The next few weeks will be interesting.
I will go take a look at your post of labs at the thyroid forum. :)
My endo clinic made a huge lab mistake.

But I still have some weird things going on.

This did help me find a new GP that looks at thyroid free's, listens too. Seems to be open to treating the body as a whole - her own words. See how it goes.

Wish I could handle cytomel - tried it this time last year at minimal doses.
I haven't read through all the posts so I don't know if you already have this information. The standard supplement (5 per cent Lugol's), is two drops per week (let's say, one on Tuesday and one on Friday) if you are on the slender side, and three or four drops if you are a large person. I take more than the standard supplement because I am hypothyroid. As a bonus, if you are an insomniac, iodine may cure that.
Allmymarbles,
Are you on thyroid meds too?? If so what meds and how did it affect your doseage of the thyroid meds?
Thanks for the info.
Hey, everyone.  I am new to this community, and newly diagnosed as hypothyroid based on symptoms (50 yr old female with menopausal symptoms, weight gain, etc.) and the test for blood levels.  TSH was 3.6, T4 0.86, and free T3 2.9.  The practitioner  suggested iodine deficiency so she put me on a daily dose 50 mg iodine complex capsules (5mg as molecular iodine, 5 mg as sodium iodide, and 2.5 mg as potassium iodide).  After a few days I noticed my voice became hoarser, and I felt worse.  I stopped the iodine.  I suggested to the practitioner that maybe I didn't need all that iodine, so she had me do the iodine loading test (24 hr urine test).  I excreted ALL of it, so she says I'm not absorbing any and must have a deficiency.  She wants me to take 3000 mg of vitamin C daily for better absorption for two weeks and repeat the test.

I don't like supplements.  I'm looking at food sources of iodine such as sea vegetables (Maine Coast Sea Vegetables) which I feel would be better absorbed than a supplement, plus they contain vitamin C naturally, which I would also like better than a pill!  I've read lots online about the use of bladderwrack and dulse, wonder what are your thoughts?  I should add that I am vegan.  And I do use sea salt regularly.  

Also, I'm thinking of trying the iodine patch test and wonder if anyone has tried that recently and if you think taking Lugol's worked for you.  You all have more experience with this than I do, so I appreciate any help from you all!
Just reread my post from a minute ago, and noticed a mistake.  The dose of iodine complex was two 25 mg capsules of iodine complex daily, for a total of 50 mg.
Thanks!
I never read past your post - there are so many - so this information may already be available. The normal supplement for iodine is 2 drops of 5% Lugol's per week (taken on separate days) if you are a light-weight, and 3 or 4 if you are larger. I take more than 2 because I am hypothyroid. One of the the most important benefits of having enough iodine is the restful sleep it provides. Until I took iodine I was a miserable insomniac.
I was put on low dose of synthroid, 50 mcg, daily during the past few yrs.  I have a fairly small thryoid nodule and the synthroid seems to be shrinking it.  I have ultrasounds on it twice a year.  I also have a-fib episodes every week or two lasting several hrs.  I'm wondering if possibly iodine can be used in combination with synthroid to ward off an irregular heart rate.  I also have terrible insomnia for which I am currently taking Ambien but would love to set that aside.
No, I am not on any standard thyroid medication. My doctor gives me supplements that support thyroid function.
Sounds like she really loaded you up on iodine. I take the equivalent of 4 drops of 5% Lugol's weekly. That is only about double the dose that a non-hypothyroid person of slender build would take. (I am a lightweight.) I am wary of large doses of anything. Slow and sure is better, even though it might take longer to get the result. But there is less of a shock to the system (and you don't have to be constantly tested to see if you are killing yourself). I only take about 500 mg of vitamin C. I use Morton's salt because it is a lot easier. Otherwise, everything else I eat is natural and organic.
     Thanks for your comment, allmymarbles!  I appreciate knowing your Lugol's protocol.  I had an appt with my practitioner following my last post, and have a better understanding of her method.  She's following research by Brownstein regarding iodine malabsorption and deficiency.  First, a background on me:  I'm 50, premenopausal, diagnosed as hypo, symptoms and recent breast thermogram showed obvious overall estrogen dominance and the thermogram and follow up ultrasound revealed abnormal vascular growth in one region, AND I haven't been absorbing iodine.  Sort of a "perfect storm" scenario for thyroid and breast disease.  Brownstein found successful iodine absorption with patients who took 3000mg of vitamin C with the large dose of iodine for a period of three to six months.  I'm on a few other supplements too which the practitioner feels are helpful, and I am consuming sea vegetables every few days.  Follow up testing will be done in two more months, with hopeful resolution of the thermogram findings and hypo.
     The practitioner approved a prescription for 5% Lugol's and I was going to use that sometimes in place of the capsules, so I appreciate seeing your protocol.  And I agree with you that eating organic is best.  Thanks again!

Could someone give me an answer to my post 3 or 4 posts above.  I'd really appreciate an answer.  Thanks
Just a short (?) note, I am new here but see that this is a rather old thread.  I may not be able to post much but here is the info I have for now.  

Armour Dessicated Thyroid -- the company had produced another formula with a cellulose content that many people did not find effective.  So the company went back to the original (or better) formula and now it is as good as it was previously.  

Iodine -- I heard on a radio health show interview with Dr. David Brownstein that iodine deficiency was a major cause of problems, and I purchased Iodoral at the local compounding pharmacy.  180 tablets of 12.5 mg for $50.00 in October 2011, comprised of iodine 5mg and iodide (potassium salt) 7.5mg.  

I took one tab and after a while noticed a slight "flush" of warmth which went away.  I am a small person and have given up nasty chemicals, preservatives and colorings in my food, and drink mostly water (distilled with sea salt added for trace minerals) so any changes are readily noticed.  

I think this will be helpful.  

Best to all.