Dental Health Expert Forum
Cipro for tooth infection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Cipro for tooth infection

I had a heat sensitive crown that had a root canal.  The pain increased with time.  Pain was there almost all the time.  I went to a dentist and he said it looked like an infection in the gum around the crown, took an x-ray which showed nothing.  There were deep pockets due to a previous infection causing a deep area between #14 and the last molar, (which has also got a crown), but no root canal.  The dentist said I more than likely have an infection and need a deep cleaning and antibiotics put into the area to heal it.  I took the time to read all the issues posted here regarding similar issues.  The conclusion was that most seem to be infections of some sort, along with the advice to have a endodontist check for various problems.

I have decided to treat myself and started taking Cipro 500mg tabs.  I have taken them for approximately 5 nights now and alternate 1 tab and then 2 tabs.  I have had relief and only have slight pain now.  I have made it a point to use my waterpik every night since I started the antibiotics with special attention to this area.  

My questions are...how long should I continue the antibiotics?, this being my sixth night and still having slight pain....and, once it is cleared up, should I still go in for a deep cleaning or only a cleaning? Seems like the cipro is working well, but is it a good antibiotic for this type of infection?...seems to be, but concerned it will resurface.  I know Keflex is what is normally used.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't recommend treating yourself without the supervision of a dentist.
I know it's not a good idea, but is it okay for now?  My efforts at trying to see an endodontist failed miserably.  I was in such horrid pain I had to do something. I have had such a hectic schedule lately and the failure of the endodontist showing up that day (he quit the morning of my appointment....wasted time!) The pain has subsided for the most part and I am in the process of making an appointment with a dentist.  Meantime, I needed to do something.
the best thig you can do is see a dentist. there are many different types of infection in the mouth and different antibiotics that work best for different cases. You should not be treating yourself. The infection will most likely return after the course of antibiotics is done. And staying on them indefinitley is potentially very bad for the rest of your body.
A related discussion, I have so much pain around my up mollar was started.
A related discussion, cipro for tooth infection was started.
A related discussion, will cipro help my abscess in my gums was started.