Dental Health Expert Forum
Continued pain in jaw after shot was given

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a tooth filled, a molar, the very back one on the left side of my jaw. When the dentis gave me a shots to numb the area everything was fine except for one which went into my jaw and I had extreme pain, so bad that I was shaking like a leaf afterwards. After the numbness wore off the aching pain has continued in my Jaw. It is still bothering me, throbing pain, 8 days after this was done. There is no swelling that I can tell, it is in the jaw area, the same area where he gave me the shot. What could this be from?
Avatar dr m tn
More than likely it is muscular pain from the injection.It does seem like a fairly long time for this discomfort to last but I think it will gradually get better.
the dentist may have actually hit the nerve with the needle. If this is the case it should heal, but nerves heal very slowly.he may have also hit/scratched he periosteum of the bone-- it is a thin membrane that covers the bone..... this also heals very slowly.