Dental Health Expert Forum
New Crown Feels Too Tight

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

New Crown Feels Too Tight

3wks ago I had a por.crown cemented on tooth 30. Been going to this DDS for 10 yrs. Had 3crowns done bef.& no probs.
However, last wk. hubby's crown didn't fit. Got sent back to lab.

My crown stayed on for 2 days & then popped off when chewing.
I went to have it recemented.

Crown was then on for 24-48 hrs.& I started to have a feeling of tightness like a vice around the tooth. This wouldn't go away & I began to have a jaw ache from the tightness I was feeling around the tooth. The feeling is like a clamp has been tightened around the tooth & then the tight sensation starts to ache.

1st call. I went in for an adjustment. This did not help.
2nd call. He did say he thought the distal of crown was rather long to compensate for something(?)& maybe that was pushing on the bone. But,if that was the case it should over time adhere & conform properly & the feeling of tightness would go away.He was at a loss as to what could be the problem. Suggested he could ask his friends(a periodontist& a prosthodontist)what they think could be happening. He dosen't know what to do for me as he has not experienced this before.

* There is a pin and some filling exsisting under crown
* The pulp was not exposed during crown prep
* No pain issues bef/after crown prep
* No inflammation around gums  
* RC...has NOT been done on this tooth however,DDS says the tooth does not appear to need one either
* No percussion problems
* No issues with hot and cold liquids

Do you think I have an ill fitting crown or some other issue?
What could/should be done?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is an interesting question. Frankly, I am at a loss, but if the discomfort does not abate I would suggest that the crown be removed, the nerve checked for vitality, a temp be made until the symptoms disappear.
hard to tell without seing it. why not go for another opinion if your current dds has no answer?
Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I suppose I could get a 2nd opinion.

In a way, I feel that perhaps it would be a waste of money since my own DDS couldn't find an answer to the problem.

I would almost rather put that money towards payment to my own DDS to remove the current tight crown and put a temp crown on tooth for about a month...and see if that tightness goes away. If it does...then have a new crown made. Of course, my ins won't pay for another one...but

I haven't suggested that to my DDS yet as I was hoping this feeling would go away. However, since it has not & my DDS seems to have NO ANSWERS do you think it would be alright to tell my DDS what I would like him to do?  I am not trying to take over his job...as he is the DR.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Dr. JB,

Thanks for your time and your reply back.

I appreciate your honesty and help will the problem.
Your suggestion was very helpful. I believe that is what I will do.

Thanks again.
I had the same issue with an uncomfortable crown. My dentist is gonna take the crown off and put a temp on to see if the symptoms subside. He said it could just be a crack under the crown or an ill fitting crown.
A related discussion, tight crown was started.