Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain in gums after root canal and perm crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had terrible pain in my upper tooth over Memorial wkend.  A year previous, that tooth's filling came out.  There was a small crack & I chose to have the tooth filled.  But it was never right, as I couldn't use it w/o pain.  The Tues after Mem day wkend, I had a root canal done on the tooth.  But since, there was still pain in the gum above the tooth when I press it.  I can chew w/o pain.  There was swelling on the gum & cheek prior to the root canal, & it took some weeks for it to subside. I went back to endo that did the root canal & temp filling & he did a few things like have me chomp on something, & he looked at a new x-ray.  Said nothing was wrong & wouldn't give me anymore antibiotics.  I had had two rounds of Clindamyacin. Still, I had pain in the gum, so I went to another endo at the same practice.  This man took the time to open the temp filling up, & inspect the job.  He said there were no hidden canals & the root canal was done right.  Because I could chomp on the tooth w/o pain, he said he didn't believe the crack was a problem.  He said it could take a year for the pain to stop, or it could be I need surgery
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I wouldn't have put the crown on permanently if there was still pain present... but since there is still pain check the bite, if that's OK then there may be a fracture or residual infection.  You may need to consult with another endo practice.
Sounds like:

An unfound canal

Endo that looks ok on xray but isnt doing its job properly

Persistent infection around the end of one of the roots (can happen even if endo has been done well - requires extraction ro surgery)

Crack in tooth - can be difficult to diagnose.

Solution - further endo (again), surgery (if applicable), extraction, reconsider diagnosis and look for other causes (adjacent teeth with swelling tracking back / forwards and presenting along side this tooth)

Have you seen a specialist endodontist? I think you might have done but if not then you should conside this.
it sounds like either a fracture (which usually cannot be detected) or residual infection. I'd see an endodontist in another office for another opinion.
Check out GLOSSODYNIA also known as burning mouth ssyndrome