Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain under permanent Crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain under permanent Crown

I had a root canal several years ago and a crown placed in upper molar tooth #2.  After the crown was placed, I periodically would get pain now and then.  I noticed that when I floss, there is a space between the crown and the gum where the floss can get in and tears the floss.  I have a lot of pain now.  I went to the dentist who referred me to oral surgeon.  They don't see any infection.  He did not do and apoectomy.  He did not think it was needed plus he says it's too close to the sinus.  So I'm in a lot of pain.  I think that food may be getting in causing some type of inflammation.  I don't know what to do.  Maybe the crown is not fitted properly?  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If the contact between the crown and the adjacent tooth is open(food impaction area)then this has to be corrected. When you floss and there is no resistance then this is definitely a problem.
space in  a contact area between 2 teeth where there is a crown involved is either due to gum disease which causes drifting, or a poorly adapted crown. in either scenario, food impaction can result, which indeed causes a localized infection (oftentimes chronic) which leads to breakdown and pain  in the tissues around the tooth. i'd get an opinion from a dentist other than the one who did the crown.
A related discussion, Apoectomy was started.