Dental Health Expert Forum
Sharp bony protrusion after tooth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a lower right molar extracted a week and a half ago.  An old root canal had developed an abscess.  The tooth was very difficult to extract and the dentist had to focibly rock the tooth back and forth to get it loose enough to remove.  The tooth came out fully in tact.  However, I now have a very painful, sharp bony protrusion on the outside of the gum area of the extraction.  Is this some kind of broken or crushed socket?
It is probably from  the expansion of the bone during the extraction and should be looked at.
if it can be moved, it is most likely a bone spicule or small sliver of tooth that may have chipped off during the extraction. It should be pushed up and out during the healing process. If you think it's intact bone poking through, see the dentist who did the extraction.
The bony protrusion cannot be moved.  It is as if the hole extends out toward the cheek.
seethe dentist who removed the tooth or an oral surgeon.